RF seat for Civic

Lee-B-

I'm asking for a friend. We're in Canada.

They have a Honda Civic (maybe 4 years old). Their 5 month old is currently in a Snugride 30 but they are finding he is very squished in the shoulders and are looking for a convertible.

He is 5 months today, was just over 18lbs a few weeks ago. I'm not sure his height but I would say shorter to average (based on his parents heights and comparing him to my 6months old). He has tripled his birth weight (6lbs2oz) so a higher weight seat would likely be the most important feature.

They tried the Diono Radian but it didn't fit, even in the middle. Though we'd both read it should fit. He wouldn't be able to use the AA for at least a few more months, maybe it was needed for fit? The Foonf looked to take up as much space and they were not too keen on the price point.

Any suggestions for a good RF seat for a Civic. I think their preference may be outboard as that's where their infant seat is, but I suspect they would do center install if needed.

They were a little turned off on Britax seats today because the sales lady was pushing them so much, I did mention that it may be the best fit for them and their car. That said, I don't know for sure so I've come to you experts!

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What year is their Civic?

I have a 2005 Civic. I can put a Radian, no angle adjuster, in the center of the back seat at a full 45 degree angle and my front seats are all the way back. BUT, the Radian rests pretty heavily on the front seats, and if I had advanced air bag sensors (I don't) then I'd have to scoot the front seats up a couple of notches until I could use the angle adjuster.

A Britax Roundabout 55 fits easily in all seating positions. If it's outboard I think I have to put my front seat up one click.

A Clek Foonf fits pretty nicely in an outboard position. I don't think we tried it in the center. The front seat cannot be all the way back, but it's pretty far back.

Of the seats that are available in Canada, I think those are the only three I've tried.

I suspect an Evenflo SureRide would fit pretty well, and I understand that just became available in Canada too. But I haven't actually tried one.

ETA: The first time I put a Radian in my Civic I thought there was NO WAY it was going to fit RF. Did they actually install it, tighten it down, push down on the front of the seat (by where baby's feet would go) to keep it from being overreclined, and get it snugged in? You'd be surprised how much difference that can make vs. just setting it on the seat and declaring it too big.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you believe the Civic is approximately four years old, it is the same generation as my Civic. :) The Radian can definitely fit at an infant angle if you install the seat in the center. It takes careful "planning" to get it in without it touching the passenger seat, but it is possible.

I know I have better photos, but can't seem to find them. I am going to keep searching. :) In the meantime...

kmw

^ That is a very impressive 3 across!

Have they considered the Graco MyRide65? Good price point (can be as low as $160 on sale) and has a nice tall shell and 40lb RF limit... fits very well in small cars RFing :)

Edited to add: I have a Britax seat and my almost 3-yr old is still RFing in it with loads of room but she is fairly petite! The MyRide does have a good amount of leg room for kidlet while RFing as well (not so much an issue now, but if they keep bubs RFing to the limits of the seat as recommended, the leg room is very important!)

Last edited:

Lee-B-

She said it is a 2007 (means we've been friends longer than I thought!).

I will pass on the info about the seats you've had work. Also about the Graco Myride65. Any other ideas will be appreciated as well!

The truefit works in my 2003 civic - not sure if that's comparable to the later models though. It's a tight fit (my 6'4" husband can't sit in front of it), but it works!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC