Question RF Radian XTSL in Toyota Corolla 2003

Mercuria

I agree that it is a design flaw. In fact, I believe that they've redesigned the head rest because my RXT's headrest is supposed to be positioned in relation to the child's head, not the harness slots.

Have you tried your daughter in the seat configured that way yet? Sometimes things that look uncomfortable don't actually feel uncomfortable, and that would be my hope here.

As for what I'd do, short of putting her in a new seat, there's not much you can do differently. Maybe give her a pillow or blanket she can lean on if she wants to sleep?

If you're worried about the harness height itself, as long as it's not nearing the top of her head, I wouldn't be concerned. If you look at professional adults in five-point harnesses, they're sometimes pretty high. I'd be more concerned about spinal compression from the harness being too low than about there harness being too high.

ADS

26.2mom

I agree that it is a design flaw. In fact, I believe that they've redesigned the head rest because my RXT's headrest is supposed to be positioned in relation to the child's head, not the harness slots.

I repositioned the harness to the highest slots. Does anyone know if Radian XTSL headrest is supposed to be positioned in relation to the child's head, or the harness slots? If I move the headrest down so that its bottom is aligned with my daughters ears (otherwise the headrest is useless), the headrest does cover the harness slots. I don't know if it is safe to do that. What do you think?

Mercuria

I don't think that is safe. It would probably make the harness appear tight when it is not. The headrest on the RXT does not interfere with the harness that way.

Unfortunately, I think the headrest will just be for show for your daughter until she's taller.

ETA: Actually, I've thought about it more, and I think it's really unsafe. In an accident, the harness will pull the bottom of the headrest forward, which could result in a sharp ridge for your daughter's head to rebound into. I'd be really uncomfortable using it that way.

26.2mom

Yesterday I spoke with a Diono (Radian manufacturer's) customer service representative/certified technician, and her recommendation was to move the harness to the highest slots and then bring the headrest down to jaw height. She said it was perfectly safe to do that. I did not press for details. If the experts on this forum disagree, I will ask Diono for a detailed explanation.

Mercuria

I'd defer to them. I've never laid my hands on the older wings, and my opinion was worst-case scenario.

Sounds like you might have a good solution :)

(Though I am neither an expert or a tech--just passionate about keeping kids safe.)

Pixels

Yesterday I spoke with a Diono (Radian manufacturer's) customer service representative/certified technician, and her recommendation was to move the harness to the highest slots and then bring the headrest down to jaw height. She said it was perfectly safe to do that. I did not press for details. If the experts on this forum disagree, I will ask Diono for a detailed explanation.

They have always been consistent about this, from earliest manuals to current manuals and whenever anyone asks them about it. The headrest covers the straps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC