RF Radian pic -- angled too far back?

geberika

CPS Technician
It seems like more than 45* to me. However I've had a hard time getting it more upright. If it's too far back, does anyone have suggestions on getting it more upright? It's a 2001 Ford Windstar with an extra third bench row in the second row.

DSC_0175800x536.jpg

DSC_0174536x800.jpg

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It definitely looks too reclined to me.

Did you try the typical Radian install tricks of pulling it out from the seat bight and putting pressure on the "foot" area?

Can you remove the Parkway and take a picture of just the Radian, from the side? It may help us to better suggest how to get the seat more upright.

It's also possible that it's an incompatability... not sure if anyone else has put a Radian there. If that's the case, then I would send your picture to Sunshine Kids. It further supports the need for a new boot.

mkmama

I have a 2000 Windstar (not sure if there's any difference or not) and the Radian DEFINITELY installs more upright than that in a 3rd row bench seat.

With the Windstar I find it easier to get a more solid upright install with a seatbelt install...trying to pull on the LATCH strap is just too weird of an angle to get it tight enough.

How I do it...

Twist down the belt stalk as many times as you can (I can't remember if I can typically get only 2 or whether I can get 3 twists)...the solid part of the stalk will end up over halfway in the seat, which is great as then the seat holds it straight for you so you're not fighting it trying to keep it twisted.

Pull out lots of seatbelt and run the seatbelt through the seat and buckle.

Position the seat about 2-3" away from the back of the van seat, and using the hand closest to the top of the Radian, pull the top of the Radian more upright. Either kneel or stand on the Radian at the very end where baby's toes will go to really squish it down into the van seat. As you kneel/stand on it, the Radian will move closer to the van seat (or always does for me)..

Now use one (or both) hands to pull directly UP on the seatbelt right next to the latchplate while you continue to kneel/stand on the seat...pull as hard as you can, and once you have it as tight as possible, use the free hand to feed the extra top portion of the seatbelt back through the beltpath so it locks tightly and correctly.

For what its worth, I typically install the Radian outboard on that bench seat because I've found its easier to get a tighter install...but I have successfully installed it tightly in the middle as well.

mkmama

Here's a pic of mine installed on the 3rd row bench...its from January with DS1 (he was a month shy of 5 yrs old at the time) riding in it.

34165_10100169663464870_1953051_57755566_2176858_n.jpg

Not the best pic to be able to see angle from, but its all I have since the Radian is currently in the car...for reference the TrueFit next to it is at the most upright allowable angle (35* I think?...can't remember off the top of my head) and the Radian angle is pretty close to that.

geberika

CPS Technician
Thanks -- I'll go try it and get more pics.

Maybe I'll move it outboard -- I have Tax Deduction coming in December and I'm trying to figure the easiest way to buckle everyone... it seems like having TD outboard would be easiest, since my almost-3yo can buckle her chest clip. But maybe not.

lpperry

Oh, too reclined for that car. You can get it much more upright!

I have a 2000 Windstar and a Radian. Those seats are so angled, that the Radian installs upright beautifully!

Follow the instructions that people have posted on getting a Radian more upright. If you follow those instructions, it is really simple in the Windstar.

I'll post a picture of ours. OK-- can't find one for some reason. I am going to search for the thread that I posted mine on...

ETA: Here is the link to the photo of mine. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=97717

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC