Rf or FF on airplane?

U

Unregistered

It's the first time LO will be using her car seat on the plane and I'm not sure how we go about installing it. Is rf safer on a plane? Does it matter? She's 2 and rf in the car. Is this how we install it on the plane? Will it fit that way? Any special tricks to get it right or is it just like how we do it in the car? We have an Evenflo Tribute 5. We don't want to be holding up the plane trying to figure out how it works--or being told it's supposed to be ff, just b/c we don't know.

Any help is appreciated!

ADS

jnamommy

What does she weigh? HOw long of a flight?

If she is more than 20 lbs, it is really your call. I have read plenty of people on here that they do FF their child on a plane.

For us, I RFed my dd when she was almost 3 on a 6 hr overnight flight - so she could be more comfy. But for a 30 minute flight, I put her FFing because it was easier.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as she fits within the seat's guidelines for rear-facing, you can install it that way. On the same note, she must fit within the guidelines to be able to put it forward-facing. If you want to install it RF and it won't fit, the airline has to move you to a different seat in the same class to try to accommodate you. The flight attendants probably won't know that, though, so read this: http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-blog-flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

That said, while rear-facing is safer, I feel it matters less on an airplane where the main hazard is likely to be turbulence. I'm flying next month with my 2-year-old and she'll be FF because I doubt her seat will fit RF anywhere, plus I'm just not that concerned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC