RF Marathon in 2001 Tahoe: When the use ARL or lock-off clips?

BayAreaMom

So I know this question must have been asked before but I can’t find it searching- sorry!
I am trying to install a RF Marathon outboard in my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. The belt is a combo lap-shoulder belt with a sliding latchplate. I can’t seem to get a great install because:
When I use the built-in lock-offs they won’t stay shut- they keep popping open and the install is pretty loose even when I close them (before they pop open again)!

When use ALR instead of the lock-offs, the belt pulls the seat up on one side a lot, and I can’t use the lock-offs on the side closest to the shoulder belt (which perhaps I don’t need to close anyways- but if they are kept open they get in the way and look like they could accidentally snap off).

I can post pics if that will help :)

I should add that I ran into this same issue with the Graco Snugride base that was in there before, and the tech I took it to (a local fireman) installed the base using the locking clip. For DD1 I had the MA installed in the center which just has a lap belt, so I never ran into this issue. I really would like to get this outboard, but obviously I can put it in the center as a last resort. I can also make a CPS Tech appointment, but given the holidays it might be a week or more out, so any help now is appreciated!

Updated with Pics:
Using Lockoffs
WithLockoffs.JPG

WithLockoff1.JPG

Using ALR (no lockoffs)
WithoutLockoffs.JPG

Is this recline perhaps > 45 degrees? What is the best way to check that?
WithARL-CantCloseLockoff.JPG

Is it okay to close the lockoff even though I don't need it- if open it looks like it would probably break off eventually. Is the belt threading okay?

Tether Point near front console:
TetherD-Ring.JPG

Last edited:
ADS

jujumum

How old is the MA? The older models had the hinges reversed from what they are now, and they pop open all the time. If you call Britax, they should send you some replacement ones for free that will stay closed. I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to use a locking clip with the Britax seats.

BayAreaMom

Re: RF Marathon in 2001 Tahoe: When the use ALR or lock-off clips?

How old is the MA?
The DOM is 10/4/06. I have a second with a DOM 4/7/08 that has the clips the diff way but DH took the Tahoe out tonight so I can't go try that one instead. That would definitely explain why they pop open so easily. But in case I still have issues is the ALR just as good as the lock offs (assuming I can resolve the tilting issue)? Is one safer/better?
I read in another post I found that a locking clip (from another seat) can't be used, so I figured that was a no-go.
I really wish I had the Radian XT- am I crazy to think about selling these darn marathons and buying Radians instead- or perhaps just one for the car we use 90% of the time with DD (which is actually my 06 MDX)?
Thanks!

jujumum

Radians don't have any lockoffs and can be even harder with a seatbelt than the MA. The reversed lockoffs will really help. Remember to press down on the seat very firmly when installing, but make sure that you aren't pressing on the belt through the seat cover. I get rock solid installs with the Britax seats with the lockoffs (facing the new way).:)

cryswilkins

I have always used to lockoffs on my RF Britax seats because of the tilt issue. Before writing it off completely, try reinstalling the seat and when you put the belt in the lockoff make sure that it is spread out as much as possible.

BayAreaMom

If you call Britax, they should send you some replacement ones for free that will stay closed. .

I called Britax this am, and they wanted to charge me $15 for the parts. They seemed to think the plastic had weakened/stretched out over time. They also said ALR was "just as safe" as using the lockoffs. But before I order them I wanted to try my newer MA with the reversed Lockoffs. I could just use that in the Tahoe and the older one in my MDX- haven't tackled that install yet but if it's outboard I can just use the Latch and therefore the lockoff direction won't matter. But I was hoping to get that installed in the center also using the lap-shoulder belt.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think your seat's a bit overreclined, that red line (on the sticker) should be even with the ground, shouldn't it? (unless you are parked on a hill facing down and it is...?) New lockoffs will help, but before they come, having things more naturally lined up with less recline would help. If you do the ALR, just do it super slowly and gently after you have the seat installed well, don't pull it up to get it tight, and the seat shouldn't tip much if at all. :)

BayAreaMom

I think your seat's a bit overreclined, that red line (on the sticker) should be even with the ground, shouldn't it? (unless you are parked on a hill facing down and it is...?
No it's not on a hill:(
So should I perhaps use the FF recline position? I also have the problem where the part of the base closest to the seat back doesn't really touch the base well. I tried using a small towel but it didn't help much with that, and obviously increased the recline a bit. I'm thinking the tether is too tight- should I pull it taut but not so much that it changes the recline?
This is a tough install- calling to make a tech appt soon, but I've taken 5 seats to these firefighters in the past and they haven't always been as knowledgeable as you ladies! So THANKS!

jujumum

You can take the lockoffs off with a hex screw driver and reverse them yourself without replacments from Britax, but Sara Tilton from Britax has said they are single use screws and can't be reused. You'd need to make your own decision on whether to spend the $15 or not.

I agree that your seat looks over reclined. You should be able to get the right angle for your age child (35 to 30 degrees) with the Britax base flat on the seat with no gap.

cryswilkins

I would also loose the seat protector. It could be the culprit with the over recline and also are not recommended as they can create a false sense of tightness. It looks to me from the picture that it is bunching up under the seat.

When you install it, pull the base of the Marathon out from the vehicle seat bite (crack) a little. That will give you a more upright install, and like Jooles said may fix your lockoff issue.

I leave the unused lockoff closed and put the seatbelt over it, if that makes sense.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No it's not on a hill:(
So should I perhaps use the FF recline position? I also have the problem where the part of the base closest to the seat back doesn't really touch the base well. I tried using a small towel but it didn't help much with that, and obviously increased the recline a bit. I'm thinking the tether is too tight- should I pull it taut but not so much that it changes the recline?
This is a tough install- calling to make a tech appt soon, but I've taken 5 seats to these firefighters in the past and they haven't always been as knowledgeable as you ladies! So THANKS!

No, don't switch it to the FF mechanical upright/less reclined position - tempting though it may seem, you need to leave it in the RF mechanical recline mode for a RF install per Britax. You likely can achieve a more upright RF install by scooting the base of the Marathon a tick or so away from the vehicle seat bight (the crease where the vehicle seatback and vehicle seating surface meet), as mentioned by previous posters, and by tightening up your installation while pressing down on the part of the convertible where the child's feet would dangle.

You're also on the right track in your questioning of the tightness of the tether strap for a RF installation because you shouldn't actually tighten the tether strap to the point that it increases the RF recline on a Britax convertible. Using the tether to increase the RF recline angle is not recommended because doing so can actually damage the recline mechanism, making it impossible to put it in the mechanical upright mode for FF when the time comes to do a FF installation. Just tighten the RF tether strap until the slack is removed, but without tightening it to the point that it reclines the RF Britax convertible more - you don't need to tighten the tether so tight that you can twang it like a guitar string to play a high note on it. :)

BayAreaMom

Thanks for all the advice- I was able to get a much better install using the newer lock offs and just placing the seat in the right orientation for the correct recline angle. I have an appt monday with a tech to get it checked.

lovemyfamily

As someone else said, when you install the seat, move the base away from the seat bite a bit. I do this with my RF MA in a 2001 Yukon XL, basically same vehicle, although I am installing in the middle seat of the middle row. When you are trying to get a tight install doing it this way, instead of putting your knee or foot, whatever you are using to push the carseat down, into the part of the MA where the baby's bottom goes, but that knee or foot on the front of the carseat, the part that is closer to the bite of the seat, where your belt releasse lever is, if that makes sense. It will pus that part of the MA down in to your vehicle seat and give you a tight install while also achieving that more upright install. I also agree if the part of your seatbelt that goes through the lock off is more flat, it should close easily. AND just leave the lock off that you are not using closed during your install and run your seatbelt right over it.
Good luck!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm pretty sure an '04 Britax uses only 1 lock off and it should be the lock off opposite of the seatbelt buckle.

From the picture, I think making sure the base is flat to the vehicle seat will help with the lock off staying shut. The change in angle should align the seat belt so it doesn't run up against the clip as much (which in my experience means the lock off is likely to pop open).

Correct me if I'm wrong, using lock offs and ALRtogether is like using LATCH and the seatbelt - it should be one or the other but not both.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC