RF 3YO - Sunshine Kids Radian or Safety 1st Complete Air?

catbulo

I have seen several recommendations on another thread for Sunshine Kids Radian and for Safety 1st Air for using for a rear-facing toddler.

1) Anybody want to run down the pros/cons for these?
2) What is the difference b/w Radian XTSL and Radian 80SL?
3) Is it true that only the Radian has a top tether for RF?
4) How can I find a car seat tech in my area?

For reference, I have a 2010 Nissan Cube and the rear seats are like a bench (not a bucket). My daughter is almost 3, weighs 34 lbs, is 36 inches tall, and has both long legs and a long torso. Her shoulders are past the top slot in her forward facing Graco Comfort Sport. After reading on this site, I've decided to try RF again (didn't know you could RF at this age until I started reading on here).

Budget is around $200.

ADS

Laurelz

SK Radian:
pros: VERY sturdy seat, tall shell, rf to 40/45lbs depending on the model, 8yr life span
cons: heavy, doesn't fit EVERY vehicle well, rf it takes up a lot of front to back space.

CA:
I just got this so I really don't want to say pros and cons yet. BUT I will say it's not as heavy as the SK Radian. :) The shell is about the same exact height, and Rf to 40lbs. It doesn't tether rf'ing like the Radian.

XTSL: has headwings 80SL: no headwings. Both RF to 45lbs. But that's the only difference. The 65SL rf to 40lbs.

Editing to add: I like both, but would prefer the Radian. :)

catbulo

XTSL: has headwings 80SL: no headwings. Both RF to 45lbs. But that's the only difference. The 65SL rf to 40lbs.

That's what I thought. I looked on the manufacturer website and that's all I could see, but I couldn't fathom that it was worth an extra $30 or so just for that.

Do you have the XTSL or the 80SL? If you have the wings, are they worth it for the extra cost?

Calleiah

Radians are not the only seats that RF tether. The Britax's do as well as the Coccoro (which probably wouldn't work in your situation with a bigger kid). There's also a seat out there with an anti-rebound foot which acts similar to an RF tether.
What area are you in? We have techs everywhere pretty much! :D

I don't consider it a dealbreaker if a seat doesn't tether RF. I prefer an antirebound thing over RF tether, but that's even more rare I think.

I do like the wings tho. I was chasing my kid around the backseat one day. Smacked my face into the side of the seat. It HURT and compared to a crash, I was going relatively slowly. Since I consider the head the most important part of the body (cuz it holds the brain and eyes), I now consider headwings to be VERY important.

Laurelz

That's what I thought. I looked on the manufacturer website and that's all I could see, but I couldn't fathom that it was worth an extra $30 or so just for that.

Do you have the XTSL or the 80SL? If you have the wings, are they worth it for the extra cost?

I actually have neither. I have the Radian80 (pre "SL") so mine rf's to 40lbs. The headwings... some people like because they are a good head support for your child if they sleep, some people feel it's more "safe", some people like the patterns they come in. It's all up to you. For the extra $ is it worth it? I don't know because I don't have one. Here's how I see it... IF you want/need the 45lb rf'ing limit then go for the XTSL or 80SL, BUT the 65SL is cheaper in price and still rf's to 40lbs! Your child will grow out of the seat height wise WAY before they hit the 65 or 80lb mark.

armywife12

I prefer the Complete Air and only recommend the Radian 80/XTSL when the child needs the 45lb RF weight limit. We had the XTSL and I only chose that because the price difference was only about $20. I wouldn't have paid any more than that for it though.

Radians: What I liked
Sturdiness
High RF weight limit
RF tether
narrowness

Radians: What I hated
RF boot makes it difficult to install more upright in many vehicles
SO heavy
Install issues in many vehicles
SL issues with it loosening and not getting a real solution from the company

Complete Air: What I like
Narrowness
Tall shell
High top slots
Easier install than the Radians
Easy to get an upright install
Less incompatibility issues
Light weight so it's easy to travel with

Complete Air: What I don't like
Harnesses are close together so they make marks on neck (son doesn't care)
Thin harness straps and have had them twist once or twice
RF belt path is difficult to access when using seat belt install
No RF tether

That's about all I can think of right now

catbulo

Additional question:

With further reading, I am getting the sense that the Radian is extremely difficult to install in a more upright RF position- that it basically defaults to the 45 degree angle and it's hard to get it to do anything else.

If that's the case, then I would almost have to get something else, because at that angle, the front seat would become unusable.

Any thoughts?

Well, speaking as a regular old person and not a tech, I've found dorel seats (the company who makes the CA) extremely difficult to install at any angle, and my radians installed very easily using latch. We've installed the radians in a 2005 honda civic and a 2008 dodge grand caravan.
I've been able to install my radian 65 at a 30 degree recline in the 2nd row of my minivan (and it stayed that way). We just got our xtsl a couple weeks ago, and to be completely honest, I haven't been able to get it installed at a 30 degree recline, but I've only played with it twice, and not seriously, because it doesn't matter in the minivan. One day I will probably go out there and really try to get it more upright when I have time...

catbulo

Well, speaking as a regular old person and not a tech, I've found dorel seats (the company who makes the CA) extremely difficult to install at any angle, and my radians installed very easily using latch. We've installed the radians in a 2005 honda civic and a 2008 dodge grand caravan.
I've been able to install my radian 65 at a 30 degree recline in the 2nd row of my minivan (and it stayed that way). We just got our xtsl a couple weeks ago, and to be completely honest, I haven't been able to get it installed at a 30 degree recline, but I've only played with it twice, and not seriously, because it doesn't matter in the minivan. One day I will probably go out there and really try to get it more upright when I have time...

Was the Radian rear-facing in your Civic? Which seat? Were the front seats still able to used by an adult (as in, you didn't have to move them up too much)?

I don't know what the angle was in the civic, because I didn't have an ipad level app back then :)
I had it behind the passenger seat. I could not drive with it behind my seat (I am 6 feet tall). IIRC, it was very reclined compared to what they look like now-- I just didn't have as much car seat installation knowledge back then.

My mom, who is 5'8" has ridden in the passenger seat of the civic while dd was in the radian behind the passenger seat. She didn't have tons of room, but she fit.

Edited to add - yes, it was rear facing in the civic.

Last edited:

Laurelz

Additional question:

With further reading, I am getting the sense that the Radian is extremely difficult to install in a more upright RF position- that it basically defaults to the 45 degree angle and it's hard to get it to do anything else.

If that's the case, then I would almost have to get something else, because at that angle, the front seat would become unusable.

Any thoughts?

Not sure about your vehicle, but I can always get a good upright install with mine. Usually at 30*. You can always get it, try it and if it doesn't work then send it back. :)

opaque1997

I have a 2006 Forester and have the CA50 and the Radian 60 (65?)

I have not installed either seat a WHOLE lot - but I can tell you this - the CA50 was behind the driver side - I had it at 30% degrees (there is an ongoing debate if you should do that or not) and was ok to sit in front of it with wiggle room (I'm short at 5'4" but I think my 6'1" could have done it if forced (the plan was to let him drive if there was no child in the seat and he could then 'force' push it upright - probably not a good idea FYI - but as I only transport someone elses kids it was an ok plan)

I now moved it over to the passenger side and its fine for all.

I could get a better install faster and more upright 400 times easier with the CA then the Radian - the radian takes some finess (thanks to Cryssy Jane with it)

BUT my body style should be different then yours. To be honest - I haven't had any kids in either install yet - their mommy got a new car and I haven't been transporting as much :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC