Question Replace them?

TyAndCheyMommy

SIL was in car accident an had 3 car seats in vehicle. All occupied.
She was going about 10mph and read ended a truck. The air bags in car deployed.
Car is still drive able. One head light was replaced. The hood is a bit bent up.

2 of my brothers and SIL tell me that only reason manual says to replace is so the car seat company gets more money. I tried to tell them about weakening plastic... But they keep telling me they aren't going to replace them.

The seats are:
Cosco scenera
Evenflo chase
Graco snugseat infant bucket

ADS

Pixels

Yes, they all require replacement even by the most conservative standards. I'm on my iPod and can't link you, but perhaps if you shared the NHTSA minor crash replacement info with them, along with the relevant background info that would help. If you can get your hands on the seats and find stress marks or other signs of damage that woudl help, too. It doesn't sound like they would look themselves.

mama d

Pixels said:
Yes, they all require replacement even by the most conservative standards. I'm on my iPod and can't link you, but perhaps if you shared the NHTSA minor crash replacement info with them, along with the relevant background info that would help.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

Insurance should pay for replacement due to the NHTSA standards. Plus dealing with the what-ifs in the event of another accident with possible seat failure.

TyAndCheyMommy

Insurance will not pay for them- as it was liability only and the individual she hit isn't going to file insurance as the truck only had slight paint scratch on bumper.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Those are all very cheap seats (hard to say about the Graco since there are so many different models of Snugride, but I suspect they're all in the same class). I would suggest that she check with her local Safe Kids coalition to see if they have any low-cost seat replacement programs.

At the end of the day, though, you can't make everybody listen to reason. They're her seats and her kids, and it's her choice.

TyAndCheyMommy

Oh I know they are all cheap- because I bought them. They are the third set of seats I have bought because they wrecked... First set was britax roundabouts, second was evenflo triumphs...

Brianna

It's sad that so many people think that replacement after crash is just to make more money for the manufacturer. Would it help their thoughts if you asked if she felt comfortable letting her children be test dummies to see what would happen in a subsequent crash?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC