Removing headrest?

New grandma

I removed the headrest on the car seat that has a rf child so he can see out the back window. Now I have started worrying that in an accident it might not be as safe. It seems like rebounding into a relatively soft headrest might be better than an empty space where the neck would be thrown forward. Am I just over thinking this, or is one way safer than the other?

ADS

Evolily

What seat and what headrest? As far as I know, the only seat that allows you to remove the "headrest" is the First Years True Fit- and it's not really a headrest, it's more of a part of the shell, and is only allowed under a certain weight and height.

Qarin

I believe she means the head rest on the car's seat, not the child restraint ("so he can see out the back window").

I don't think it's a concern- by the time the seat has rebounded, the speed should be quite low and any possible excess in head movement is, in my untested guess, more than made up for in the lack of head impact and potential injury (though either way, should be nothing at all to worry about).

Anyway, I don't think one way is considered safer than the other, and I'm basically positive that it hasn't been tested one against the other.

Maedze

I wouldn't worry about it. I removed my second row head rests to make it easier for the rear facers in the second row to chat up the forward facer in the third row :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC