Regent Question

Shannon

I was on here recently asking about car seats for my two special needs sons, ages almost 4 1/2 and almost 5 1/2. I got some great recommendations, but since then, my husband's car was stolen with two of our seats inside and we have to replace ASAP. My boys are now about 44 inches talls and 43 lbs. I think. Anyway, a friend offered a Britax Regent that she only used twice on long road trips. It was manufactured in 2009 so has three years left on it. Anyway, is this seat a good seat for a special needs 5 1/2 year old and how long will he be able to sit in it?

ADS

Phineasmama

As long as it's a friend that you trust and you know the seat has never been mishandled or been in an accident, it would probably be great for your 5.5 year old. A normal sized 5 year old could have several years left in it! The seat is outgrown when the top harness slots are below the shoulders, so your child would likely fit in it until it expires.

ahgirls

My giant torso almost 6 yr old fits with room to grow. She's 52 lbs, 50" tall (last I checked) & size 10 shirts. As long as its a car seat trusted friend, go for it.

luckyclov

As long as you trust your friend entirely with the history and use of the seat, I say go for it. We loved our Regent and I think it's a great choice for a special needs kiddo. It's a post-advisory Regent, however, so make sure you have the recline bar on the back/bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
And I believe it requires the top harness to be attached! Great seat!

Top tethering is required with a post-advisory Regent for a child weighing 40 lbs. and up, along with the short belt path installation method at 40 lbs. and up (a long belt path installation is required under 40 lbs. for post-advisory Regent installs and all install methods require using the recline bar as noted earlier in the thread). Pretty sure that top tethering is what you meant by the "top harness" but wanted to clarify that for the OP, and fingers crossed the OP's vehicle is top tether anchor equipped. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC