Regent install...how does it look?

ANGELINTC82

We received our Regent from the Kyle David Miller Foundation today and I was just wondering if someone could tell me how this install looks? I had a bad experience when I went to get it installed, especially when it came to getting my 20 month olds seat installed. They didn't do a good job on her seat and I actually stopped in a parking lot as soon as we left so I could fix it. The way that they had it, I could shake it back and forth and I wasn't comfortable knowing that it was wrong.

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How much does your daughter weigh?

If she weighs more than 40 lbs, you need to use the short belt installation. (The belt goes in one hole and out the other, without wrapping around the seat the way it is now.)

If your daughter is less than 40 lbs, it might be ok, but it looks like that's a lap-only belt, is that correct? If so, technically the belt should be routed under the cover. (In other words, the same path that it follows now, but going under the cover, not over it.) If that's the case, I'd change it, but don't panic about it. Technically it's misuse, but I think it's a relatively new instruction.

I'm more concerned about whether the correct belt path is being used based on her weight.

Is the tether being used?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats on the new Regent. She looks adorable and so proud of her new seat. :) I'm assuming you have the Regent top tethered with the tether anchor retrofitted in your '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I remember your earlier thread about the tether anchor retrofit only being possible for the center rear seating position of the Jeep's back seat, and bravo on getting that done. :thumbsup:

A couple of things come to mind about the installations. Are the Regent and FPSVD convertible installed independently of each other with less than 1" of movement at their belt paths? You're probably already aware of this, but given your concerns about the tech experience you had (and sorry to hear it wasn't so positive for you, that's unfortunate :(), just want to make sure they're independently tight installs.

Is your DD under 40 lbs.? Just double checking on her weight because it sounded like she might be close to that 40 lb. mark from your earlier thread and because the proper installation method for the Regent depends on the child's weight. It should be installed with the long belt path installation method for kids under 40 lbs. and that's the installation method it's currently installed with from what I can see of the photos, with a lap-only seatbelt. For the long belt path seatbelt installation, the Regent manual also states the seatbelt should be routed underneath the Regent's cover on each side, though, and the seatbelt is currently routed over the cover on each side in your pictures. Routing under the cover can help snug up the installation more, and also uses slightly less seatbelt length overall.

If your DD currently weighs 40 lbs. or more, or when she reaches 40 lbs., the Regent needs to be installed with the short belt path installation method as described in the Regent's manual.

Congrats again on the new Regent. :)

ANGELINTC82

She is currently 38 lbs, so we will have to switch it soon. I am glad that they were able to see this seat since many of the techs up here haven't seen it. After I posted, I tried the seat in an outboard position using the long belt path and was much happier with that install. I know that I won't be able to do it for long, but I hope that by the time she reaches 40 lbs I will have a newer car and the center tether anchor won't be such an issue.

ANGELINTC82

Both seats were independently tight. I installed the FPSVD with a locking clip, undid it but left the locking clip on and the seat in place, installed the Regent so it was nice and tight and then rebuckled the FPSVD. Since I left the locking clip on, I knew that it would be tight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC