Refresh my memory-Do Britax boosters expire in 6 yrs also?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
See here's what I'm thinking. 6 years for harnessed seats I get because there are a few points of extreme stress exerted by the harness, but I would think it would take much more degradeation for a booster to fail. Are there points of stress on a booster? It just seems like they wouldn't have the handful of hot-spots of stress in an accident--it seems more even. KWIM?

Yeah, there's always discussion about this on the big wig tech boards...it seems a little crazy to have such short time limits. But don't forget the company also has to back up their product... poor Fisher Price has had to pay lots of us lots of money when our 8 year expiration seats had problems, there were no replacement parts, and they basically had to pay us for our unusable seats... a six year expiration would have saved them from writing a few more of those checks. And safety features change...right now there are no side impact standards for boosters, but what if they change their minds tomorrow? At least the kids in non SIP boosters have some sort of hope of getting seats that meet new standards sooner rather than later.

But really, I think 8 years would be more appropriate since there's no harness system to get funky or rip through a weakened seatback ;)

LuvBug

also remember that the slots of the harness seats have to be reinforced to take the FFing impact, and that the booster is probably straight plastic. But then there is also what jools said... and if you notice companies seem to give the same expiration to their boosters as their carseats(6y-6y, 8y-8y, and dorels weird system :rolleyes:), so they probably just do it for uniformity.
the recaro start doesnt expire(neither does the RSTV I think, but it isnt really a booster) so if you want a non-expiring seat you could go with it ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC