recs please

judahs_dad

MIL has requested a seat for her car that will enable her to transport 2 of my 3 kids on occasion (just around town). I thought that I would pass her one of my seats, and use it as an opportunity to get (yet) another new carseat.

DS1 (6.5, 50#, 16 seated shoulder height, 47" standing height) is presently harnessed in a Frontier85, and still has 2-3 slots before outgrowing the harnessed height. While he's probably capable of booster training, we do travel long distances by car once a month or so, and he often falls asleep; plus, he's in the 3rd row of our 2005 Ford Freestyle, which doesn't have side curtains/any safety features where he is. So, I'm fine with keeping him harnessed. In MILs car, he rides in an XTSL with room to grow before his ears/eyes are at the top of the shell.

DD (3.5, 33#, maybe 36"; 10%tile in height/weight) rfing in xtsl outboard 2rd row.

DS2 (20 months, 25#, 28"?) rfing in xtsl outboard 2nd row.

In January, I'll start watching my nephew who will be 8 weeks old, and in a coccoro, possible center seat 2nd row; i'll have him all day 4 days a week. At that point, i might move dd to 3rd row (still rfing if possible) and would outboard both nephew and ds2 (since he tends to be grabby).

I originally was thinking i'd get a booster, and booster train ds1 in our car, give MIL the Fn85, and turn her xtsl rfing for either ds2 or dd (they're on the same harness slot), and just take back the Fn85 whenever we were going to be traveling long distances. If she were transporting dd and ds2, dd would ff for the trip around town. But, MIL's a pain to get a hold of sometimes, and that would restrict some of our less planned/more spontaneous longer trips, and require even more planning for our longer trips to get carseats rearranged.

So, I was thinking that I could give her a second xtsl for rfing in her car, and get one of the younger kids a new seat (we are also ttc #4, so it would conceivably be used for a long time), but we like the xtsl -- it fits well in our car, enables us to do 3 across when we need to, and has a high rfing limit, which is a high priority for us.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do -- get a new seat for one of the little kids? get a booster for ds1? which seats would you then recommend? Budget is say, $250 or less, though i could be persuaded to consider the foonf if it's really worth it. If it matters, all three of the xtsl seats were manu. in '09; the Fn85 is an '11, i believe.

ADS

kam1011

You have some really nice seats. I would probably choose to hold onto them. My first choice would be to do a little booster training at home first but then give the booster to grandma. Turn the XTSL around for the others. 6.5yo won't be making super long sleeping trips with grandma, so it could be a great fit.

But, would it be the younger two that would be riding around? Then I would get MIL something simple that works for her car, like maybe a Guide 65 or even a MyRide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC