Recommendation is still 13 for front seat riding, right?

NVMBR02

I drive a 2009 Ford Fusion.

I will let her ride in the front seat before age 15. In our state kids can get learners' permits at age 15 and I want her to be familiar with the view from the front seat before she gets behind the wheel. I'll probably go with age 13 to ride in front.

This. Only Dh drives a 2009 Fusion and I drive a 2012 Pilot. In both cars the kids will ride in front before age 15. They can get their permits on their 15th birthday and we would like them to become familiar with traffic laws and the view from the front before then. It is also important to both Dh and I that they get their permits when they can so that we can make sure they get plenty of experience driving, especially in winter conditions, before they get their license.

ADS

vtbecca

I drive a 2009 Ford Fusion.

I will let her ride in the front seat before age 15. In our state kids can get learners' permits at age 15 and I want her to be familiar with the view from the front seat before she gets behind the wheel. I'll probably go with age 13 to ride in front.

I think it is very important for them to be familiar with the view from the front. It's also easier to point out driving errors- see how far that car pulled out at the stop? It's too far.

My son was 12 and probably a bit too small last year when started letting him sit up front. He is now 13, over 100 lbs, and well into puberty. He is over 5" and sits very, very well (all those years of being very picky about car seat and booster use really do pay off later). I also really, really value the time we have up in the front seat together. He tells me more then than he does any other time. For me it is OK. It doesn't mean nothing will happen, but I actually think he is probably safer than my middle sitting in the third row when we travel on our very high traffic interstate with more semis than cars :/

Becca

Dillipop

In my current state, permit age is 16. So having the kids in back until 15 is no big deal- they'll still get a year up front.

New state is 15 for permit. As long as ds is well into puberty, I'll likely move the age up to 14, so he has a year up front. He'll be 11 this month and there are absolutely no signs of puberty at all though.

If he hasn't hit puberty by 14 though, he'll stay in the back. We'll push everything back until his body is mature enough to handle the airbags up front. He'll have to have his permit for a year no matter when he gets it, so if that has to be 16 instead of 15, that's what it will be.

CarSafetyGuy

Regarding permit discussions, it's also worthy to note that states with more restrictions on teen licensing are states with lower rates of teen accidents and fatalities. New Jersey is currently the best state for this, as teens aren't allowed to drive solo there until 17. South Dakota is the worst at 14:3.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yeah, I'm not sure I'll be letting my kid solo at 16. But I still want her to have experience in the front seat before she starts driving.

vtbecca

Regarding permit discussions, it's also worthy to note that states with more restrictions on teen licensing are states with lower rates of teen accidents and fatalities. New Jersey is currently the best state for this, as teens aren't allowed to drive solo there until 17. South Dakota is the worst at 14:3.

Fourteen?!?! That seems so insane. My son is 13. There is no way he would even be close to ready to drive next year. No way. There are so many critical thinking skills that just aren't there in the early teens. Even mid teens. I would be fine with 17.

Becca

MommyShannon

Keeyamah

Fourteen?!?! That seems so insane. My son is 13. There is no way he would even be close to ready to drive next year. No way. There are so many critical thinking skills that just aren't there in the early teens. Even mid teens. I would be fine with 17. Becca

Here in Idaho it 14.5 to take drivers ed, 15? To get a license, which I believe is limited to daytime hours. I know the permit is after you take drivers ed, or it was when I took it 10 years ago. I had to get 50hrs supervise driving time, 10 of which were at night. I chose not to get my license until I was almost 18, however.

We are/were a farming community and people like my husband were/are driving for farm work in summer as young as 10yrs old, that greatly influences driving ages state by state.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC