Recommend a Convertible Carseat that converts to backless booster!

liz_legend

I am looking for a convertible car seat (for birth age onwards) that can later be converted to a backless booster. My 9 month old is outgrowing her Graco Snugride 35 in terms of height. I would like to purchase something else that can be RF til she's about 2 years old and later converts to FF and then ultimately a BACKLESS booster.

I really loved the reviews on the Diono Radian RXT and the R120 but what's holding me back from purchasing is that it doesn't convert to a backless booster.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are none. What you want to look for at nine months is a carseat that goes to at least two, preferably four years old rear facing. Then harnesses until a mature booster age, about five to six years old. Around then you can buy a dedicated booster for about $40, most of which convert to a backless booster, and then use that for the next six years until your child is ready to be out of everything and into the adult seatbelt. There are no seats that wouldn't expire before you were ready to be done anyway.

The Radian is a booster, yes, but it has a 50 pound minimum, and the R100 and R120 have non-adjustable belt guides, so they don't fit long or well, and the RXT is outgrown as a booster at the same time as a harnessed seat. So they're not recommended as boosters. However, they're recommended as convertible seats.

You could also look at the Evenflo Triumph 65, Safety 1st Complete Air, Maxi Cosi Pria, Peg Perego Convertible, Graco Size4Me, and if your child is light (under about 17 or 18 pounds) the First Years True Fit.

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
None of the 3-in-1 seats make great boosters. You will need another seat after the radian even. The harness and booster are outgrown about the same time.

The dorel 3-in-1s make deadly boosters. The symphony doesn't make a great rf seat or boooster. The smart seat is very pricy and you could easily buy a great convertible and a combination seat later for theat price.

I would look for a great convertible that will rf for you a long time and work well ff then deal with what to get when it is outgrown.

No seat rf, ff, hbb and then lbb.

littleangelfire

What she said! WEndy is our expert. :love:

Just in case you need another person in agreement, there isn't a single seat that will rear face, forward face, and then be a backless booster. Also, there isn't a seat that does rear, forward, and then booster that is good at all three of those. Generally the thought is jack of all trades, king of one or none. Seats that try to do too much so far have not done great jobs at all they try.

You want a seat that will keep your child rear facing as long as possible, to at least two years old, but preferably longer if she still fits, and then will harness forward facing until she's at least 5 to 6 years old.

AFter that, you will want a booster WITH a back, not a backless. Particularly in case the child must ride in any older vehicles that do not have adjustable headrests in the back. You always want every person in a vehicle to have head support at least to the middle of their ears.

After your child outgrows, by height, a backless booster, then if they still need a booster you move to the backless part. Most boosters turn into backless. Kids need boosters until they are 8 to 10 years old, 80lbs, 4'9" tall, and pass the five step test.

Wendy mentioned it, but it's important to note again that car seats and boosters do expire. So almost any seat you got now would expire before your child was done with it if you tried to do rear, forward, and then booster with it.

At the store you will see Alpha Omega, Eddie Bauer, all-in-one/three-in-one seats. Don't buy it. It's an expensive seat that doesn't live up to its hype. It's not very good at rear, forward, or boostering.

Convertibles to check out:
-Evenflo Triumph Advance 65
-Graco MyRide
-Diono Radian (they have three different models, all essentially same, different price pays for different bells and whistles)
-The First Years True Fit

These seats will last a long time forward and rear facing then you'd buy a booster.

Also, there's a review section on this forum that should have reviews for some, if not all, the seats listed

littleangelfire

Boy, Judi sure knows how to just keep it short and sweet to the point, doesn't she? :love:

Thank you so much! Totally got an education from you all ;)

You're very welcome. Stick around, there's TONS of stuff on here. Something like over 80% of car seats/boosters are installed and/or used incorrectly, so it's worthwhile to check out some of the other stuff, too, and see if we've got a tech in your area.

VoodooChile

I also wanted to add that new seats with new features come out all the time. My dd is almost 7 (boostered but not quite ready for a backless), and I'm definitely not still using that first post-infant-carrier seat we bought.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC