Reccomend a seat?

Relish

Ds is 22mo, 23lbs and not quite 32inches. He just finished a growth spurt and I expect he'll stay small, taking after Dh. We need 1) a taller seat he can Rf in for longer and 2) a seat that does a good seatbelt install in a 97 Jeep Cherokee. If it can be the same thing, then great!

Ds is rf-ing in an RA, he's on the bottom slots shoulder wise, but his head is close to the 1" margin. Our manual allows 'even with' the shell so we have some time. I'm looking now because our Scenera 'back-up seat' does not install well in the Jeep and that's a problem. Its used only a few times per year (currently) but when we need the seat, it needs to go in quick and easy and we're not getting any thing close to a safe install. I think the RA would be fine as the backup once its outgrown, and size wise the Scenera would fit as his primary seat but I feel hesitant to just swap them.

Other info: I do expect there will be younger sibs to pass a seat along to. This does not need to be the last harnessed seat we buy. I am pretty sure I do NOT want a 65lb Britax seat. I don't think he'll come near to needing that weight limit and it seems there are seats with more harness height in the same weight category. We do fly and take long roadtrips.

Will the Uptown last us a good while? EFTA perhaps? Radian?

ETA: The other install location is a captain's chair in a Sienna. If I turned him Ff in the RA he'd have loads of time but I don't feel like that's our best choice. Sigh. I really would love some advice.

ADS

skaterbabs

First, why doesn't the Scenera install well? I have a '96 Cherokee and other than needing a pool noodle RF for our Touriva (basically the same thing as a Scenera), it's never been a problem installing ANY seat. There aren't any major differences between the two model years.

That said, you're right, he should remain RF for a while. I can try a Radian in my '96 Cherokee for you, I'm 98% confident that it will be an easy install.

Most seats install pretty easily in the Cherokee. It has a nice flat bench seat, and locking latchplates are a breeze for car seat installs.

The Uptown is a good seat, but for very little more you can get the Evenflo Triumph Advance, and it is a very good seat for the money.

Relish

I'm not certain what we're doing wrong then, but our Scenera flops all over the place when installed with the belt. More than 1 inch movement at the belt, the top wobbling all over. We've tried on multiple different occasions for a tighter install. Dh has actually suggested we just let Ds ride in it for short trips. :rolleyes: Well, he did before he saw what a real tight install was in the Sienna, now I think he gets the difference.

I have not tried a pool noodle but mostly because we don't need the extra recline. I'd love to keep the Scenera as the back-up. Maybe I need to breakdown and schedule an appt with a local tech for that seat.

skaterbabs

OK, I think I understand now.

First of all, only check for movement at the belt path. A rear facing seat that does not tether will move near the child's head no matter how tightly it's installed.

Second, when you install the seat, the belt locks at the buckle. You have what are called locking latchplates. The buckle locks the belt by holding the shoulder belt webbing parallel to the lap belt webbing.
To tighten the lap belt for a secure installation, pull the shoulder belt webbing parallel to the lap belt webbing instead of up. (Up is the instictive movement, but across is more efficient.) If the belt loosens after a while retighten, flip the buckle one half turn (180*) and rebuckle.

If your Cherokee is anything like mine, the belt mounts in the back have a plastic housing on the belt webbing. This is for easier management of the seatbelts when the seat is being folded, but can interfere with a secure car seat install. These plastic housings can safely be removed, however should the seat need to be folded you'll need to be extra cautious that the seatbelts don't get folded up under the seat.

If the female belt stalk is a little long, you may twist it up to three full (360*) twists to pull it down and out of the belt path of the seat. For a RF Scenera, you will need a section of pool noodle even for an upright install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC