Recaro or Diono?

2girls

I still haven't chosen a car seat for my 19mo 25lbs 33". Originally I was looking for my little 6monther but I'm going to put her in the xtsl and get the older one a new seat. I'm debating between a Recaro Pro sport or Proride (I know one is solely ff but I cant remember which is which) and the rxt.

Can someone help me with pros and cons? I just want something that is safe, will allow room for her to grow comfortably, allow for clean ups if she happens to get sick in the car, is comfortable, will allow her to look out when the seat eventually becomes ff, and so on. What is a realistic timeframe she could last in the seat? What are things to consider that I'm missing?

All help appreciated!!!!! I drive a Honda CRV if that helps in figuring fit too.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The ProRide is an option for you. The ProSport is forward facing only and is not the safest option.

Between it and the Diono, I'd get the Diono. The ProRide sits up high with no leg room, and because it's so short front to back, it's very difficult to get kids in and out of, and it generally gets uncomfortable before most kids are ready to be forward facing (between three and four years old). The ProRide would fit your younger child's legs better, but may not yet fit their torso.

So I'd get the Radian, and maybe an angle adjuster to make it more upright.

Wendy

2girls

Thanks Wendy.

Quick question on seat materials. Currently we own the xtsl in 'storm' the version thats a mesh style. My daughter's Velcro sneakers have completely destroyed the material -- it's pilled and scratchy. How do you feel about the suede vs the other shiny styles? We live in new england but when its hot in the summer, it can get really hot.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The plush fabrics tend not to get pulled by velcro as much. Some people find them quite warm, other kids don't care. I'm afraid I don't know exact differences at certain temperatures.

Wendy

firemomof3

I've had Radians for the past 2 years and my kids have never complained about the fabrics being too hot. I have the granite cover on my Radian65 and I had the shadow cover on my RadianXTSL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC