Rear Facing Top Tether - Yes or No?

catbulo

I have read conflicting advice on whether or not to use the top tether when installing a seat rear facing. I am about to install the Radian XTSL, which comes with a top tether for rear facing.

Please weigh in with your opinion. Links to studies or hard data would be most appreciated. :)

ADS

aeormsby

The only time I've seen SOME people question a RF tether is for a newborn. So that the seat moves with them the entire time because they are more fragile.

I don't think there is any documentation for any of it though for or against (and since most kiddos start out in an infant seat by the time they'd be moving to a convertible they would be plenty big). But, on the other hand there are a couple of infant seats with anti-rebound devices built in also.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm in the group that would never rf tether a newborn or young infant.

As for an older child, you should contact your vehicle manufacturer to make sure that they are ok with it. Some manufacturers may not approve it, and there are potential (though different,) risks both for older vehicles and new vehicles.

The lack of hard data on rf tethering in relation to if it can have an impact on the safety of the front seat occupant makes it impossible to make a firm recommendation other than suggest that you contact your vehicle manufacturer in regards to it. (Unless you're one of the lucky folks who have a rf'ing tether anchor, in which case I'd do it without hesitation if we're talking an older baby or toddler etc.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
snowbird25ca said:
I'm in the group that would never rf tether a newborn or young infant.

I'm in that group, too.

I also haven't tethered the Radian my 2-year-old rides in in DH's truck because... well... I just haven't gotten around to it. I see it as a nice--but not crucial--feature.

Pixels

We have no studies or hard data. Well, there's one study, but it has huge, gaping, major flaws so its results are meaningless.

Sometimes I tether, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood, if it's a short-term install, etc. I don't have strong feelings either way.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Pixels said:
We have no studies or hard data. Well, there's one study, but it has huge, gaping, major flaws so its results are meaningless.

What is the study & its flaws? I've been outta the loop for a lil while but last I remember we were saying a seat that allows RF tethering in a vehicle that allows it should be tethered RF, at least after baby no longer requires a full 45* recline & that even the infant seats with anti-rebound were indeed a good thing :question: I'd really like to get caught up on current info in this regard so I'm prepared for my recert course....

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org ~ please disregard typos!

Last edited:

AnnaC

I have one of my seats tethered, and one not, because I don't have a D-ring for that one. From what I've read here it's nice but not essential.

Pixels

What is the study & its flaws? I've been outta the loop for a lil while but last I remember we were saying a seat that allows RF tethering in a vehicle that allows it should be tethered RF, at least after baby no longer requires a full 45* recline & that even the infant seats with anti-rebound were indeed a good thing :question: I'd really like to get caught up on current info in this regard so I'm prepared for my recert course....

"THE EFFECT OF SWEDISH TETHERS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF REAR FACING CHILD RESTRAINTS IN FRONTAL CRASHES"

Flaws:
All seats in the study were tethered, including the ones that were "not tethered." The "not tethered" group were tethered without tension and using an aftermarket strap through the FF belt path, while the "tethered" group were tethered with great tension using the usual tether. Since all seats were tethered, they didn't have an actual control group.

They used a very sloped vehicle seat. For the "not tethered" group, they used a spacer such as a pool noodle to get the proper recline angle. For the "tethered" group, they used no spacer and tightened the tether until the proper angle was achieved, hence the great tension on the tether. Much of the benefit seen in the study was attributed to tighter coupling to the vehicle with the tether, as tightening the tether also increased tension on the seatbelt. The problem with this is that Britax seats do not allow you to place significant tension on the tether for fear of breaking the seat, and SK seats allow it but generally the seat is already so reclined that you really can't do it.

From the paper:
The effect of the Swedish tether on injury
measures was less consistent. The addition of the
tether generally caused an earlier onset of
accelerations, but there was not a concomitant
decrease in peak acceleration. The effects varied
across injury measures and across child restraint
model. Only six values (out of 30 calculated)
changed by more than 30%. In five of these six
instances, the tether resulted in reductions in injury
measures. All but one of these instances occurred in
the neck shear or moment measures, which are likely
the least biofidelic sensors in the CRABI dummy.
Thus, while the results varied, the overall effect of
the Swedish tether was a negligible reduction in
injury severity.
(emphasis added)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#toptetherRF

That's the reference about not tethering a young infant, but also that tethering Swedish style may be quite beneficial for older RF toddlers.

It's especially important to tie the tether connector strap to a spot that the carseat manufacturer lists as approved (bolted/metal/non-moving), as you don't want to interfere with airbag sensors, but the force of the RF tether is not going to hurt the seat (the strap will stretch and rip long before the seat has a chance to be damaged, IF the force is even great enough to do that...RF tether forces are really minimal).

shortcake3930

so excuse my stupid question but....where do you find the tether attachment on the car? I have an 07 edge but can't find where there would be a tether for RF tether....I know I know...look in your owners manual but :p figured that maybe you guys might know....

armywife12

shortcake3930 said:
so excuse my stupid question but....where do you find the tether attachment on the car? I have an 07 edge but can't find where there would be a tether for RF tether....I know I know...look in your owners manual but :p figured that maybe you guys might know....

There won't be a tether anchor. Car seats that allow rf tethers come equipped with a d ring that you wrap around a non moveable piece bolted to the floor board. This is usually the front seat track.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
armywife12 said:
There won't be a tether anchor. Car seats that allow rf tethers come equipped with a d ring that you wrap around a non moveable piece bolted to the floor board. This is usually the front seat track.

It's rare, but I have seen vehicles with a tether anchor center of the bar that ran along the bottom of the front passenger seat parallel to the vehicle seatback, perpendicular to the seat tracks ... my '05 Ford Freestar had this feature, no D-ring required ... in fact, the vehicle design did not allow for the D-ring to fit anywhere, but of course only carseats that specified RF tethering in their manuals could be tethered here (the manual did allow for FF harness seats up front but I did not trust the airbag shut-off sensor because it flickered when I sat still in the seat although I weighed twice the trigger amount stated in the manual).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC