Rear facing seat for 35" 27lb 2.5 year old

kaharris83

So I went and looked at the Advance EX 65 today. While it was big I expected it to feel heavy too and that wasn't the case. Of course my frame of reference are the beastly Foonfs. My first impression was that it was very plastic-y. It was nicely padded and my kids both thought it was comfy. But my almost 5 year old was not comfortable once strapped in as the crotch strap proved too short for him. I left the infant insert in it as it gets a bit hard behind the back when you raise the headrest. I installed on my +1 while my seats were set in wide mode. That led to side overhang from the base, less than a fingers width on each side. This is probably a super dumb question but if I put the seats together so there is not overhang into space, but onto the seats is that ok? I had trouble getting the install at the most upright angle. I skimmed the manual and it seemed to me while rear facing you are only allowed to use the fully reclined setting and then you achieve your desired angle by the way you install the seat. If it can be on my +1 and rest on the seats beside it then it fits fine in that spot and I don't have to adjust either of my front seats. I can also actually fit it behind my seat with no adjustment needed. Apparently I have short legs. :) Overall seems like a nice seat. My almost 5 year had perfect legroom. Not sure how tall he is right now. Will have to check. Pretty sure he wants one so he can RF again.

Attachments

• 20150430_121435.jpg
    20150430_121435.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 35
ADS

lgenne

Nice pictures! Is that a color coordinated Guide 65 next to it?

Would you post the pictures here? http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246908

I assume having it sit on both captain's chairs is ok, since it's essentially a contoured bench that way, you'd just cut off all access to the 3rd row. I think you'd have to call Dorel to find out if the tiny bit of side overhang is ok.

kaharris83

Would you post the pictures here? http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246908

I assume having it sit on both captain's chairs is ok, since it's essentially a contoured bench that way, you'd just cut off all access to the 3rd row. I think you'd have to call Dorel to find out if the tiny bit of side overhang is ok.

It is a twinsie Easy Fit 65 next it it. That is what my youngest is riding in now while I figure out what to buy him. He actually has quite a bit of legroom in that.

I have a few more pictures I can post. For some reason I can't get them to post from my phone so I will try the computer in a bit.

When I actually installed the seat the overhang was only on one side so theoretically if you took out the seat on the opposite side in that case you could access the third row. We have only used our 3rd row once so for us no access is no biggie but I know it would be an issue for people who use it daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

lgenne

When I actually installed the seat the overhang was only on one side so theoretically if you took out the seat on the opposite side in that case you could access the third row. We have only used our 3rd row once so for us no access is no biggie but I know it would be an issue for people who use it daily.

Wouldn't it install a little crooked then? I think the captain's chairs sit a little higher, or at least come a little higher on the edges where the base would sit.

kaharris83

Wouldn't it install a little crooked then? I think the captain's chairs sit a little higher, or at least come a little higher on the edges where the base would sit.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure. I took my husband today and he didn't feel like it would be the best choice for 2 more years. My kids are sad they aren't sitting next to each other as it is and are trying to hold hands across the back seat. Puzzling something else next to the EX seemed like it may be a challenge.

So we decided on a Fllo. Not what I wanted to end up with but we just kept coming back to it. And I actually found a Foonf for less than the Fllo so we ended up getting a Foonf. Really not what I wanted. Haha. But the legroom just can't be beat and to get us 2 more years that's what we needed.

Hazelandlucy

Yeah I'm not 100% sure. I took my husband today and he didn't feel like it would be the best choice for 2 more years. My kids are sad they aren't sitting next to each other as it is and are trying to hold hands across the back seat. Puzzling something else next to the EX seemed like it may be a challenge.

So we decided on a Fllo. Not what I wanted to end up with but we just kept coming back to it. And I actually found a Foonf for less than the Fllo so we ended up getting a Foonf. Really not what I wanted. Haha. But the legroom just can't be beat and to get us 2 more years that's what we needed.

That is so sweet about the holding hands! I had to move my seats outboard, even though half the reason I ended up with an Odyssey and a Fllo was because of the center latch and ability to fit two seats next to each other! My 3 yr old was constantly taking the baby's toys and snacks or wanting to hold hands when the baby was fussy and irritating her. Hopefully at 2 and 4 I can go back to side by seats so DD1 can FF in the center!

kaharris83

That is so sweet about the holding hands! I had to move my seats outboard, even though half the reason I ended up with an Odyssey and a Fllo was because of the center latch and ability to fit two seats next to each other! My 3 yr old was constantly taking the baby's toys and snacks or wanting to hold hands when the baby was fussy and irritating her. Hopefully at 2 and 4 I can go back to side by seats so DD1 can FF in the center!

That's how we were until Monday, my 4 year old was FF in the center and my 2 year old was RFing OB. Just a warning it makes it very difficult to see behind you when you FF a Foonf in the center. My husband would threaten to move them both outboard constantly because they were so loud and fighting all the time. :) Now that they are both outboard he said it's been so peaceful. Haha. I zone it out because I'm so used to them squabbling constantly. I think we'll end up with the Foonf in the center and the new Frontier outboard since the Frontier tether isn't compatible with the +1 seat in the Ody. :(

kaharris83

I haven't forgotten about sharing the pictures I have to the +1 thread. I sent Dorel a few questions about whether the overhang is acceptable and such and I was awaiting their response before I post to that thread. Will do as soon as I hear back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC