Ready to move to booster?

Supergirl

I drive a 2013 Mercedes ml350, with all the bells and whistles.

I tend to be very conservative on carseats, so DS, 5y9m is in a Britax Boulevard still. I didn't turn him fw facing until he was almost four. He is a skinny little guy, probably only 42 lbs or so and about 44" tall. He could stay in the Boulevard indefinitely.

However, he is in a mixed kinder-1st grade class, and we drive other kids/he rides in other cars for playdates. We are coming to find out he is one of the only kids still in a convertible carseat, and he is starting to want a booster seat since there have been a few comments about his "baby seat".

It would also be handy to just go ahead and set up a 3-across install and leave it there, since it have another older kid (most of whom are about 10 lbs heavier than my kid). I can't quite do 3 across with two Boulevards. I currently uninstall his 2yo sister's Boulevard to install a booster for the other child riding in our car, which I end up doing once or twice a week. I'm a little concerned that these repeated switches are also compromising his sister's safety, since some of them are pretty fast.

So, my question, having read the 2010 post on lack of comparable studies: is it acceptable to move my son to a high back booster with five point harness? We are generally making only short (<10 mile) trips.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

A booster doesn't have a harness. You're speaking of a combination seat. And there's no difference in safety between a forward facing convertible and a combination seat with harness.

There are unknown or no differences between a harness and booster at his age. If he can't sit properly for 100% of the ride he needs a harness, but otherwise we don't know. Generally in a tight three across, though, a combination seat will be easier to deal with than buckling and unbuckling the seatbelt, so regardless of his ability to sit properly, I'd do a harness if you're going to have three kids across the back.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much. I knew I'd get some terminology wrong, even after reading old threads. For clarity, I'm looking at something like a Britax Pinnacle or frontier or a graco nautilus (but this looks like it has more base and may be deemed more "baby-like", sigh.). I thought these were boosters with harness, but it guess they are combo. So there would not be any difference in safety if I switched him to one of the combo seats? Is an actual booster an option for a kid this size?

Would love to put another booster (for bigger classmates) in middle but still keep 2yo sis's Boulevard on side, but ultimately, I want all the kids to be safe, even if that means convertibles and swapping seats.

I've been hesitating and not researched models because I really wanted him solidly over 40 lbs before I did anything. So kinda new on world beyond convertible car seats and appreciate guidance.

Keeyamah

I've been hesitating and not researched models because I really wanted him solidly over 40 lbs before I did anything. So kinda new on world beyond convertible car seats and appreciate guidance.

Since you are looking at combination seats and likely using the harness with them, you don't have to wait until he is 40lbs to move him from one harnessed seat to another harnessed seat, if that makes since. Some other combo seats, in addition to what you listed are the Harmony Defender, Evenflo Securekid 300/400 (different models have different LATCH connectors, among other minor differences), Evenflo Maestro, and Britax Frontier (which, IMO, is more seat than your kiddo needs as it has the highest height and weight of any combination seat out there).

Now if you want to move him to a Belt Positioning Booster, we do like to see kids as close to 40lbs as parents can manage. This is because some studies have shown smaller kids (under 40lbs) are more likely to submarine under the lap portion of the belt (slide under it and then be completely unrestrained). I know one well recommended booster for smaller kids is the Graco Turbobooster as it positions the lap and shoulder belt well on them.

I can't remember, do you have a third row in your vehicle so you could avoid having to do a quick three across? If I was in that situation (and have been with my nieces) I put extra riders in my mom's van's third row and leave my boys' seats alone. It's much easier than reinstalling seats on the fly in the school pickup line and they like making faces at my RFer (rear facer).

Supergirl

Thanks again! I'm the original poster -- my registration came through so I have a username now.

No third row. We have in my husband's MDX, but not my car. I did haul three car seats in when I was buying, which is part of the reason I ended up with the Mercedes (e.g., Lexus was way too small, Infiniti and Audi ditto. BMW would have worked but mb has some options I liked). I could fit three, but now I realize one was an infant seat (Orbit) and I think was smaller.

So it sounds like I could do a combo seat and keep him harnessed and not have to worry about any decline in safety. Or we are barely in the booster range, but I could use the combo seat for that as he gets older. Am I getting this right? He's generally a good and compliant sitter and doesn't sleep in the car. I did weigh him this morning and he's up to 43lb.

My plan would be to leave a permanent 3 across setup with combo for DS (or possibly booster, but it sounds like combo is safer and could be used as booster later), booster for guest kid in middle (again all heavier than my son so booster ok), boulevard for DD. So wouldn't be doing anymore quick installs.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan. The Pinnacle is widest, the Nautilus generally doesn't play well with others, but the Harmony Defender is nice and narrow.

It's not just about weight. It's about maturity. At 5y9m you're just getting into the age where he's likely to sit properly. If you have a friend of his who doesn't sit properly yet, then you put HIM in the Defender and your son in the booster for that ride.

Also, don't forget your Boulevard has height limits. Shoulders over the top slots. It's not uncommon for lightweight kids to outgrow the seat in the 35-45 pound range (my older daughter was 38 pounds when she outgrew the old style Boulevard/Wizard around six and a half years old).

Wendy

Cnidaria

A dedicated high-back booster in the middle for guest kid might be hard to buckle because the buckle stalk is buried between the seats in a three-across. You might have better luck with combo seat-combo seat-Boulevard (obviously as long as the three seats fit).

Supergirl

Thank you all so much. Will start my combo seat research. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions. I just never even thought of switching. The boulevard height limit is around 49", and he's about 43-44. Straps are still above his shoulders no problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC