Question ready for booster?

MrsJTull

I apologize for this being so long:

My 3 yr old son (4 yrs in Jan.) rides in a Graco Nautilus *harnessed- recently moved up to 2nd highest harness slot*.
We've been moving it back and forth between our two vehicles when we drive his truck.
Walking through our Walmart the other day, my husband went down the car seat aisle and said, "Why can't H ride in a High-back Booster? The seat says 3 yrs plus. and he's over 30 lbs... and that is the law here in AR"
He really wanted to buy him a HBB for his truck, so we wouldnt have to keep moving his GN. And he doesnt want to buy a 2nd harnessed seat. :(

So, I told him I would "ask the experts"...
Do you think my son (3 yr, 8mos-- ~34 lbs, 35") is ready to ride in a booster for short trips in dad's truck?
Is there any evidence saying that at his age/size it is safer to be in a harness vs HBB?

I also know that if we were to get a HBB for hub's truck, it would have to go in the front seat with air bag turned off due to front-overhang in the backseat. I was told his GN was fine with less than 20% overhang on backseat as long as it was harnessed.
I'm not particularly comfortable with him in the front seat, or in a HBB yet. I havent tried him in one, but the thought of it makes my skin crawl.
BUT, I told my husband I would ask....

ADS

Brianna

Putting a child under 4 in a booster is never recommended. Putting a 4 year old in a booster is rarely recommended, and only for the most mature of 4 year olds. Both the AAP and NHTSA recommend children remain harnessed until they outgrow their forward facing harnessed seat before moving to a booster. Most children are age 5-6 before they are mature enough to sit properly in a booster.

MrsJTull

Thank you. I'm going to quote your post to him. that was what I thought.

I also just realized (first time I've considered what would happen if H was in a HBB in truck), it technically wouldnt be safe for all 3 of us to be in the truck at the same time..
If DH was driving, and H was in HBB front-passenger with airbag off, there is no seat for me that is safe. lap belt only front-middle plus no headrest, and no headrests at all in back seat..

This will DEFINITELY not be happening until H is ready for booster AND we have a new truck that has safer seating options.

Brianna

When he's ready for a booster then you can buy a HBB for your main vehicle and leave the Nautilus installed in the truck.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

MrsJTull

by the time he's ready for a HBB, wouldnt he be too big for the Nautilus?

My husband will be getting a new truck in the spring, I guess I need to make sure the back seat has headrests and lap/shoulder belts in all positions. and that the back seat is deep enough to hold a HBB (unlike his current truck. since HBB's cant overhang)

Brianna

If he's mature enough at age 5 to ride in a booster he could still have room left to grow in his Nautilus depending on how fast he grows.

scariestone

I think what I've read that makes the most sense to me is when your child is in a 5 point harness, YOU are in charge of their safety(installing, properly tight straps, etc). When a child is in a booster THEY are in charge of their safety. They have to be able to sit properly in in 100% of the time because you never know when an accident will happen.

MrsJTull

Ok, I told hubby a booster is still a few years away.
I JUST (10 minutes ago) re-measured H.
He is 34 lbs in undies only. he is 38.5 inches tall.. and has 13.5 inch torso when measured sitting "criss-cross-applesauce" measured to shoulder.

We will hopefully get at least 2 more years out of the harness.

We moved up to the 2nd highest harness slot last week. the 2nd from bottom seemed too low for his shoulder to me??
but the 2nd from bottom seems kinda high?

he's comfortable in it as it is on the 2nd highest and the straps are coming from above his shoulder.

Phineasmama

If you need an extra harnessed seat and he is only 34 lbs, you could look at the Evenflo Maestro for an inexpensive option for the secondary vehicle :)

hrice

If you don't want to switch seats around you could get an Evenflo Maestro for your DH's truck. Last I checked it was $67 on Amazon.

MrsJTull

How much longer do you think he would have harnessed in the Maestro if we bought it as a 2nd seat?
What are the top slots at?
I want to keep him harnessed until it is SAFE for him to be in a booster. If that means he's harnessed until he's 7, that's fine. :)

Does Evenflo allow the front of the seat to hang off the vehicle seat?
Or would it have to go up front?

hrice

The top slots are 18" on the Maestro which is about .5" shorter than the Nautilus. A child with a 13.5" torso will have years to grow in it. 80% of the seats base must be in contact with the vehicle seat. Same as the Nauti. However, the Maestro is a tad shorter front to back.

MrsJTull

Thank you. I will ask Hubby if he wants to buy a 2nd harness seat. I know he said he didnt, but with it being 1/2 the price of the Nautilus, he might consider it. That, or he'll just have to keep moving the Nauti we have back and forth. :)

Brianna

When you move up to the next slot in the Nautilus it can look off, but the harness has to come from at or above his shoulders. It's normal for the right slot to appear too high at first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC