Radian? Wings or no wings?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have an XT (with wings) and love it. I like the extra "security" (even if that extra security isn't a reality and is only in my mind :p) that I think the wings offer. I also like the way that they cradle a kiddo's head once the kiddo is big enough to use the wings. IN addition, I like the covers that are on the "winged" XT and XTSL. :eek:

However, if I were buying another Radian today, I would probably get a 65 or 80. :p Unless, of course, I could get a XT or XTSL for the same price. Since the wings aren't usuable until the kiddo is older, I would happy to use a 65 or 80 until the kiddo is older. :) I prefer the wings, but would be happy without them.

SugarNSpiceX3

Ok, so help me out here. I thought there was the 65, 80, and XTSL. I haven't seen a Radian 80XT or I would get it for my 3 year old *whom JUST hit 26# on a good day, in Winter clothes* because I honestly think she'd make it to nearly 6 in it RF and not need the extra 5# much. 12.5" torso, too. She is a car seat dream. ;)

I have an XT (with wings) and love it. I like the extra "security" (even if that extra security isn't a reality and is only in my mind :p) that I think the wings offer. I also like the way that they cradle a kiddo's head once the kiddo is big enough to use the wings. IN addition, I like the covers that are on the "winged" XT and XTSL. :eek:

However, if I were buying another Radian today, I would probably get a 65 or 80. :p Unless, of course, I could get a XT or XTSL for the same price. Since the wings aren't usuable until the kiddo is older, I would happy to use a 65 or 80 until the kiddo is older. :) I prefer the wings, but would be happy without them.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It isn't an age thing, it is a size/harness slot thing. They can't use the wings when using the bottom two sets of harness slots. Or is it three? Someone help! I can't remember and I don't have the manual here.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Ok, so help me out here. I thought there was the 65, 80, and XTSL. I haven't seen a Radian 80XT or I would get it for my 3 year old *whom JUST hit 26# on a good day, in Winter clothes* because I honestly think she'd make it to nearly 6 in it RF and not need the extra 5# much. 12.5" torso, too. She is a car seat dream. ;)

Currently, there is a 65SL, 80SL, and XTSL.
You can still find some 65, 80, and XT seats out there, though. They are usually on clearance. I have a regular XT, not XTSL.

SugarNSpiceX3

Oh, thanks! I'm getting 3 new seats and trying to fit 3 across. My budget is under 750.00 so I'll have to check that out. Do you know the DOM on those (estimate)?

Currently, there is a 65SL, 80SL, and XTSL.
You can still find some 65, 80, and XT seats out there, though. They are usually on clearance. I have a regular XT, not XTSL.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oh, thanks! I'm getting 3 new seats and trying to fit 3 across. My budget is under 750.00 so I'll have to check that out. Do you know the DOM on those (estimate)?

I'm not sure about the DOM. Mine has a DOM of 6/09 and is a regular XT.

Here are some NON-SL seats:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian-Convertible-Nassau/dp/B001O5CM88"]Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Radian XT Convertible Car Seat, Nassau: Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian65-Convertible-Seat/dp/B000G7YM0Q/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262652984&sr=1-19"]Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Radian65 Convertible Car Seat - Granite: Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian-Convertible-Seat/dp/B000G7YLZW/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262653035&sr=1-28"]Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids New Radian80 Convertible Car Seat, Princess-Pink Floral: Baby[/ame]

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=7879

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=11554

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=7875

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Diapers.com will price match, so if you find a XTSL on sale, PLUS if you are a first-time customer, you might be able to get a XTSL for even cheaper than the above seats linked.

armywife12

I'd probably get the wings simply because I like the covers more...lol. I'm really close to ordering the XTSL but I'm still hesitant because I don't know if it will work in my vehicle and I don't really want to go through paying to send it back if it doesn't work

erikanohelani

Your daughter's stats are similar to my son's. He was 27lbs with all his clothing and his torso is 12.5. He will be 3 in March.

He has plenty of room to grow in his Radian XT. The wings help keep his head from slumping when he falls asleep.

At first I thought he might be too short for the headwings, but it fits right where his head is. You can't use it on the bottom two slots, my son is on the 3rd. I wish I had some pictures, I would take some but it is really cold out today!

I didn't wait for the XTSL (we ordered months before it was released) because like your daughter, my son probably won't need the extra 5lbs.

Kat_Momof3

hands down, if money were no issue, I'd get the wings... I don't care that they're not that useful to rearfacing kids... rearfacing children get more side protection just by facing the rear... forward facing kids need every bit of side protection they can... and I'd want to plan ahead.

heck, if I got pregnant today, I'd start saving for two things... that infant seat/combi coccoro (or just buy a cosco Scenera to start)... and then the Radian XTSL.

Calideedle

Wings!

hands down, if money were no issue, I'd get the wings... I don't care that they're not that useful to rearfacing kids... rearfacing children get more side protection just by facing the rear... forward facing kids need every bit of side protection they can... and I'd want to plan ahead.

heck, if I got pregnant today, I'd start saving for two things... that infant seat/combi coccoro (or just buy a cosco Scenera to start)... and then the Radian XTSL.

NO! Go for the Coccoro. :p

Kat_Momof3

Wings!

NO! Go for the Coccoro. :p

well, first I need to lose a TON more weight, and then ONLY if I don't still also need a breast reduction... then I'd have to get pregnant... if we could afford it after all that (right now we can't even afford the reduction)

after that it would depend on budget... lol.

and yes, for some reason I have this very precise dream of twin boys in coccoros... (lime green... labeled so I know whose is whose) and getting the MBUD with the double bassinet to go with it... assuming it would take a board for someone short and cute who is baby crazy (Ruthie)... otherwise, she'd be trying to push it by herself.... NOT that I've given it that much thought... :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC