Radian straps for an infant

We're planning on using the Radian with infant insert from birth with this little one, since it technically replaced the crashed bucket we used with the boys. I've seen it mentioned that there are different lengths of harness straps for the Radian that can be ordered. I measured and we have the standard straps, 38in. Is this likely to be adjusted tight enough for a newborn or do we need to order the shorter, 33in straps? DS1 was 6lbs, 13oz at 3.5 weeks early, DS2 was 9lbs, 7 oz at full term, so I'm not thinking we'll have a teeny one (though that'd be nice:p).

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I hadn't heard of an alternate harness, just an alternate buckle. That doesn't mean a different harness doesn't exist, though.

The harness that came with the seat should be fine. If a different harness were needed I imagine it would be for a smaller but older child using Safe Stop. SS effectively adds about 4 or 5 inches to the harness length and some people have an issue with that. But SS isn't used rear facing so I'm sure your infant will be fine.

Pixels

The straps that came on my Radian were too long for my 4 month old. She was on the second slots, I had the harness tightened all the way (splitter plate was touching the harness adjuster) and I could still pinch slack. Other forum members have successfully used the standard straps with their newborns. If you don't have any alternate seats, I would get the shorter straps to be safe. If you have access to a backup seat that you could use while you while waiting for the straps to come, then you could safely wait and see if baby fits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC