Radian RXT and Mazda6 Bracing Questions...

embock81

I have a couple questions about installing the Diono Radian RXT in our two Mazda6s (one 2005 the other 2010)... First off, is the radian allowed to be touching or braced against the drivers side or passengers side? In our 2005 Mazda6 the front seats have side air bags but I don't believe the 2010 has side air bags in the seats... My other question is about the latch, can I use the latch in the center seat or only the outboard seats? Also if I need to install the seat in the outboard position which side is generally safer? Thanks so much! :)

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Great questions to ask and address. :) The Radian allows bracing but the car manufacturer also has to allow it. Presence or absence of front side torso airbags in the car isn't necessarily an indicator of whether or not bracing is allowable, it's more so how the vehicle manufacturer has arranged its sensors for advanced front airbags overall, and whether or not those sensors can be interfered with by contact with or bracing against the front seat/seatbacks, that ultimately determine it. Your 2010 model is definitely new enough to have advanced front airbags and possibly your 2005 model as well but I don't know specifically whether or not bracing is allowed in either of them. :eek: You'll need to consult the owner's manual for each of the cars, focusing particularly on the airbag and child restraint sections and scouring through those sections thoroughly, to see if there are any restrictions on having a rear facing carseat touching or bracing against either of the front seats.

The short answer on allowability of a center lower LATCH anchor install of the Radian in either of your Mazda6s is no, you need to use the seatbelt. Here's the long-winded, more detailed explanation from the LATCH manual :): While Mazda allows a center lower LATCH anchor installation if the carseat manufacturer allows it with borrowed innermost lower LATCH anchors from each side spaced 18.3" apart in the 2003-2011 Mazda 6, Sunshine Kids/Diono allows it for Radian installations only if the vehicle manufacturer allows and if the spacing between the borrowed lower anchors is between 11 and 14 inches, narrower than the spacing in your Mazda6s. Thus you need to use the vehicle seatbelt for a center installation of the Radian.

The center is safest if you can achieve a proper installation there as it's farther away from either side in any potential side impacts. Either side of the back seat is statistically about equal in terms of side impact crash frequencies if you're not able to successfully install in the center of the back seat. Rear facing in and of itself also is an extra reassuring measure of safety, so go with whichever side works best for your family and driving/parking arrangements if you need to install on the side. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC