Radian Premier vs. Radian XT (Canada)

U

Unregistered

Hi! I'm looking at getting a radian as my son is outgrowing his cosco alpha omega in weight soon. I'm confused at to what the differences are for my $30 extra for the xt. They both are 5-45 RF and 22-65 FF harnessed and both have the infant and toddler inserts... so what's different? As far as I've been able to find out both top slot heights are 18''. If I have any of this wrong please let me know!

Also, what's the general fit of Radians in Dodge Caravans? Good or not so much?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

amelia222

The main (only?) difference between the two is that the XT has headwings. And there are different covers for them.

Sorry, no advice on the fit in your vehicle, hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.

tiggercat

It probably depends on the model year, but I have a Radian (XTSL) in my 2002 Dodge caravan and the fit is great both RF and FF in the capt chairs with LATCH. It also installs well in the back bench middle FF with seatbelt, buckle stalk must be twisted 3x.

jnamommy

I have an 05 Town and Country (sister to the Caravan), and Radians fit great. The seats are so reclined that the Radian gets a good RF angle in the vehicle. FF installs have been super easy also with the Radian

moxy

I've installed my radian in both an 03 and an 05 caravan with no problems. Both rf'ing, both in the captains chairs with latch.
I've put it ff'ing in the third row middle seat with the belt with no problem, but can't get it nearly tight enough on the bench rf'ing

U

Unregistered

I ordered the seat, but don't actually have it yet and was watching an install video where she referenced installing a tether in rear-facing mode. This is something that they explicitly said to never do with our Cosco, and am wondering if this is something I should do with the Radian or if that's only in the US that they recommend (give the option) to do that?

dogmelissa

You don't *have* to rear-tether if you don't want to. It prevents rebound, which may or may not be a concern to you. Depending on your vehicle (it's not one I'm familiar with), it may also not be possible, for example if you put it in the middle of the front row of seats but have captains chairs in the front, there might not be a way to tether it without twisting the seat. It can also be useful - if you need it - in helping to acheive a more reclined install as you can tighten the rear tether to pull the seat back down.

As far as Premier vs XT goes: both are considered to have side-impact protection though obviously the head-wings on the XT will do more. However they're really only effective for FF and can't even be used (need to be pushed all the way up) when the bottom 2 harness slots are in use, so if you have a short-torsoed child it may take a long time before you can use them. A few people have mentioned that it makes it more difficult to lift a child in and out of the seat with the headwings as well, so if you have any shoulder or back problems this may be a concern to you. You may also have a cover preference; we were talking to a tech when deciding on ours and she told us that the mesh covers (each model has one) wear really quickly and for some strange reason take a really long time to dry if you ever need to wash them (with an 8 yr life span, this will happen eventually). When we got in a crash recently, the cover that we'd bought originally wasn't available locally so we picked up one with the mesh cover and she was right about the wear: one pair of velcro-closure shoes and a 10 minute car ride and you could already see that the mesh was fraying. Poor choice of fabric, IMO. But the non-mesh covers are great, the fabric is so soft I'm actually jealous that she gets to put her face on it and I can't. :) When it comes right down to it, though, either version is great and it's mostly personal preference.

Good luck - but whatever you choose you're choosing a great seat!
Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC