Question Radian or Foonf?

Lotus33

Hello all,

Been researching for weeks & just when I think I've got it nailed down I learn new things that take me in another direction.

So, I drive an '04 Acura MDX, no latch in the center position but would prefer to put carseat there until/if we have another child. Doesn't have tethers I don't think, but those can be added right? My 17month son is 31in & 23lb & about to outgrow his Graco Snugride35. He's in 75th% for height & 25th for weight I think, with a longer torso -12in seated bum to shoulder.

I would like to RF for as long as possible. I am considering the Radian RXT or the Clek Foonf. What are the Pro's/Con's of the Radian? Does anyone have one in the same car? Should I hold out for the Foonf instead? It looks really well made, but would it sit up too high making loading difficult? Would sitting up higher like that be more or less comfortable for an older child? Would it be less safe since closer to the window? I wish they were out already so I could see in person!

I was also considering importing the Britax Multi-Tech 2, or trying to find the Volvo branded one here in the US if it's still around, but heard they aren't very padded & that the buckle is easy for a child to undo.

My other option could be to get a Britax Boulevard/Advocate for the time being & look at options when he outgrows it & can then pass on to next child? Or, I could try out the Radian or pre-order the Foonf at Amazon & if it doesn't seem right return it, but that might be a hassle? Is there any other places that offer free returns at all?

What are your guy's thoughts/experiences/opinions? Which one of these carseats will allow the longest ERF time?

Thanks so much! :)

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You have tethers, but they're for forward facing, so you don't need to worry about them for a while.

The Foonf will last the longest rear facing. Then the Radians and a bunch of others about the same height (Complete Air, True Fit, Pria), then the Triumph 65, then the My Ride, and then finally the Britaxes.

I wouldn't worry about importing anything anymore. Not unless you have a child who will over 45 pounds before they're two.

Wendy

Lotus33

Would I be able to RF tether at all?

Would the Foonf RF even longer than the Multi-Tech height wise -even though it sits up so high?

Last edited:

hope41more

I saw the foonf today. It WILL rf tether. It is high, but thats so it fits longer in cars rf without hitting the seat. I talked with the rep, and I'm sold. She said in their crash tests they put it in an outboard position and side impacted it with a force equal to a Mack truck- her words- and the seat kept baby UNHARMED due to the magnesium body. That makes my plastic and styrofoam symphony look cheap!

macasa

If it matters to you, you won't be able to use the Foonf as a belt-positioning booster. The Foonf goes only up to 65lbs, FF
Radian goes to 120lbs as a belt positioning booster.

(Just in case it is important for you to be able to use the seat for as long as you can)

Foonf:

U.S. model (now available for pre-order)
Rear-facing: over 6 months old and able to hold head upright unassisted, 15-45 lbs, 25-43″ tall (ht limit may be replace by 1″ rule pending further testing – we’ll keep you posted on this)
Forward-facing: over 1 year old and able to walk unassisted, 20-65 lbs, 25-49″ ta

Adorkable

I was in a very similar spot as you, cept I started before I knew about the foonf.

I did get two radians thru amazon and used them for a while and personally hated then, so did my hubby. I spend nearly two months trying OT get used to the tightening, and various little things and meanwhile started looking for options. That's when we found the foonfs. We did end up returning both radians to amazon with no trouble whatsoever ever, really rest returns and that is why we ordered from them. We had made special effort to keep everything in perfect order with the packaging and seats so that we had this option.

We preordered the foonfs and meanwhile bought two used soon to expire (but well cared for) britax seats from someone we trusted for cheep so that we could return the radians and wait for the foonfs.

The only bummer was that we choose not to order the foonfs from amazon only because they were not getting them til a few months after Clek's main retailers, so we picked the most trustworthy one of them that we knew and placed the order.

Crossing fingers.

atw

I have the radian love. I think for erf, and this is my opinion, you cannot lose either way. From everything I hear, if I was thinking about ff my kids earlier, I might pick up the foonf. I might because it's a good company too, but I don't expect to like it more than radian. My kid can climb in, she often asks to drive around, etc. The foonf with the extra bulk and perhaps marginal safety difference rf (not that we know yet)
Nah...

I hate that the harness doesn't continuously adjust on RN. I also don't like the qc issues I see popping up on the board. But the seat? We love it!

I don't think the foonf is the answer for my almost 3 year old or 8 m old because it's higher profile (and sidewings) which is the reason I went to the RN. I was so sick of getting my daughter in the blvd.

That said, I am one that loves the look. I am open to trying one out...

lyn_ak

Keep in mind also that because the Foonf is brand new, we don't know what issues or quirks it might have. Personally I would wait for feedback from owners before buying a $450 seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes. You'll use the D ring that comes with tetherable seats to make a tether point. They've thought of that, don't worry. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM"]Installing a Rear-Facing Tether Connector Strap (D-Ring) - YouTube[/ame]

Wendy

Lotus33

I would hope to be able to use both the ARB & the RF tether at the same time, but would that make it too reclined for an older child I wonder? Or do the ARB & the RF tether do the same things?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They do the same thing. Also, you don't tighten the tether so much rear facing as to change the angle on most seats. You install it, get it tight, then add the tether.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC