Radian install problem- HELP

colt's mom

I'm trying to install a Radian RF in the center seat of a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. I am using the angle adjuster. We got the seat in and it is tight. Problem is when I try to wiggle the base to check if it is tight enough, it tips over towards the buckle of the seat belt. It only tips in one direction (towards the driver's side of the car). Am I doing something wrong or is the radian not going to be compatible with the center position of my car? We are attaching it with the seat belt not the latch due to the car not having latch in the middle seat. When I installed the infant seat the inspection place said I can't use the two side latches for the middle. But since this seat is wider than the infant seat can I use the latch clips from the two side seats? I think that would solve the problem.

I really want the seat in the middle so if you think this is a compatiblity issue do you think I will have this issue with all RF convertible seats or is it worth trying another?

I'm having trouble uploading pics, but I've got them if someone can tell me how to load them

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 23
ADS

colt's mom

Alright I'll try that, but I'm a little confused on the locking clip. The web page you attached said to attach the locking clip right next to where the seat belt clips. On my Chicco seat the car seat tech said to use the seatbelt clip on the opposite side of the base (the side where the seatbelt retracted).
Since the seatbelt seems to be lifting it upward wouldn't I need to put it on the side where the belt retracts not near the buckle? If this is the case does anyone have a photo so I know what I'm doing? (I can't get an appointment at the inspection place for a week).
And, when I use the lock should I still lock the seatbelt by pulling it all the way out?

Brianna

Use the locking clip within 1" of the buckle. It locks the belt pre-crash. When you use a locking clip, you don't pull the shoulder belt all the way out to lock it, so there will be nothing pulling it up on that side.

Have you checked for techs near you from this board? A lot of "normal" techs don't have a clue what a Radian is and they often give wrong information for this car seat simply because they aren't familiar with it. Here's a listing of techs from this board http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

Brigala

CPST Instructor
By the way, if you have this problem with the Radian you'll probably have it with most car seats. The only reason you didn't have it with the Keyfit is because it had the built-in lock-offs - which is what the locking clip is essentially replacing.

colt's mom

Thanks for the help! I was really frustrated when I posted this thinking it wouldn't fit in my car and I'd have to pay return shipping to send it back. I'm going to try to install it again using the clip this weekend when my husband is home to help. And, I have an appointment next week to have it inspected (assuming I can get it in). Hopefully this tech is familiar with the seat because I checked and there is no one on the forum who is within 3 hours of me.
If I can't get it in, I'll be back here with more questions! Thanks again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As the others said, make sure you use the locking clip next to the buckle, as that page shows. The difference is, you DO NOT pull the belt out to switch it- which will stop it pulling up if that's the issue. Good luck. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC