RA vs Marathon due to RF tall 6mo old?

bbygrl99

My daughter is 6mos old and weighs 20lbs and is 27 3/4" tall. I bought the roundabout for our car and just purchased another for my husbands car to realize that her feet touch the back of the seat! So my question is does the Marathon have more room for her so she doesn't hit the back of the seat while rear facing? Or is it about the same for the roundabout? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because my 2nd RA just came in and I don't know if I should keep it or send it back.
Thanks!

ADS

Splash

I'd send it back, but it has nothing to do with her feet touching the seat.
Her feet can touch, absolutely no danger in that. Very few kids even complain, most of them prefer it!
However she can RF MUCH longer in the Marathon than the RA (due to the taller seatback) plus the MA will last YEARS longer than a RA will due to higher weight/height limits.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My daughter is 6mos old and weighs 20lbs and is 27 3/4" tall. I bought the roundabout for our car and just purchased another for my husbands car to realize that her feet touch the back of the seat! So my question is does the Marathon have more room for her so she doesn't hit the back of the seat while rear facing? Or is it about the same for the roundabout? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because my 2nd RA just came in and I don't know if I should keep it or send it back.
Thanks!

It doesn't matter if their feet touch the seatback, what matters is that their head is cradled and protected, which is why the Marathon is a better choice and will last an extra year or more rearfacing (kids can only make it to about age 2 rearfacing in the Roundabout, but can make it to much taller, up to age 4.5 or so in the Marathon...of course, they are both 33 pounds maximum rearfacing, so a chubbier kiddo won't get any benefit from the Marathon).
The Marathon also lasts several years longer forward facing, making it worth the extra few dollars it costs.

lovinwaves

Actually, her feet touching the back of seat is perfectly fine. Most carseats in the US allow rear-facing until 30-35 pounds. That means alot of kids can continue to stay rear-facing until they are 2-3 years old. My 2.5 year old is still rear-facing and finds it quite comfortable. She just usually crosses her legs or stretches them out on the back of the seat. In Sweden for example their children stay rear-facing until 3-5 years old. They have a much lower fatality rate than here in the US.

You will also notice a lot of Forum members signatures with photos of their kids rear-facing after a year old. Notice the smiles on their faces!! :D

Here is a great resource for information on extended rear-facing. It is much much safer to keep your daughter rear-facing to the limits of her seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree with the others. Send back the Roundabout and get a Marathon.

As the others said, your daugher's feet will still touch the backseat, but that is okay. In fact, a lot of kids prefer to have their feet on the backseat over FF and having their feet "dangle." My friend turned her daughter FF at age 3. When M was rear-facing, she would rest her feet on the back seat as if it were a giant footrest. When she was turned forward-facing, she complained because her legs would fall asleep. She no longer had the "giant footrest." :)

bbygrl99

Thank you all for your quick responses.. I just ordered the Marathon in Ashley Floral.. so now I guess I need to send this back or sell it on Ebay! Thanks again. Safety is 1st! I will keep the roundabout we have currently in my husbands truck because she still fits in it but at least we won't have to replace 2 seats!!! Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC