Questions about First Years True Fit Premier

amy922

Hello everyone! I am a newbie and I have been lurking on this board for ages. Reading all of your reviews is what lead me to purchasing a First Years True Fit for my son, however now I have some questions!!
Background, he is 5 months old, weighs a whopping 17lbs and almost 27". To me, the manual is very simplistic, leaves out a lot of details, and is very hard for someone anal like me to completely grasp.

For starters, should he still only be at the first shoulder strap slot? Without the infant insert, the straps are just below the shoulders, with the insert, the straps are way below. When I move it up to the second area, the straps are above his shoulders without the insert, but right below the shoulders with the insert. I'm planning to use the insert, so what do you think? To me he seems scrunched up, if that makes sense, when the straps are at the first slot and he is wearing the insert. It's like I have the desire to lift his body up and push him farther back into the seat, but with the low straps, I can't move him. I have already taken the shoulder pads off because they just made everything even more confusing.

Two, how do you adjust the crotch buckle and when would you need to? The manual does not describe this at all, and while I push on the yellow area that says "PUSH", nothing seems to be happening. The crotch buckle doesn't seem very long right now, it sits right below where his private area is.

Any help would be appreciated!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you're using the insert, put him on the second slot. At or below his shoulders, but as close to his shoulders as you can, if you have the choice.

As for the crotch strap, you'll push down and then move it toward the front or back of the seat. See where it is now by pushing it the other way and seeing if it moves. Try both directions. You want it close to his body, coming from nearly under him. For most kids his size that's the one closer to his bum. It has to be in the outer position after 50 pounds, but you want the strap to be at his body or as close as possible, or even slightly under. You don't want him on the buckle, but the strap is ok.

Wendy

amy922

Thank you Wendy. Where you described the crotch buckle is exactly where it is.

So, when he is on the second slot, even though the straps are above his shoulders without the insert, since it is just right with the insert that's okay?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right. That's what the insert does, it bumps them up. Otherwise newborns wouldn't fit in it at birth, since most wouldn't reach the first slot without the help of the inserts. Laine didn't.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC