Question

mommyoftwoboys

I took my youngests marathon out, because I need to go to the next slots.
For one, I'm not sure how to do this. So wish me luck with reading the manual.
However I asked my oldest to sit in the marathon, and realized, He could use a marathon. He is still short enough to fit in the second to the top slots, and he's not near the weight at all.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea then since I can't find the regent anywhere, and then when I do find the regent, get it, and put the other marathon in the truck?

Does that sound like a good idea?

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I took my youngests marathon out, because I need to go to the next slots.
For one, I'm not sure how to do this. So wish me luck with reading the manual.
However I asked my oldest to sit in the marathon, and realized, He could use a marathon. He is still short enough to fit in the second to the top slots, and he's not near the weight at all.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea then since I can't find the regent anywhere, and then when I do find the regent, get it, and put the other marathon in the truck?

Does that sound like a good idea?

as long as he fits, i dont see the problem with it:) what is his weight?

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
That sounds like a good plan to me!

Did you figure out how to change the straps? If not here are some ideas:
1. Lift the harness release lever and pull the harness straps as far out as you can from the front of the seat.
2. Look at the back of the seat - you should see the splitter plate, where the harnesses attach to a metal plate. Unhook one side of the harness.
3. Pull that harness strap through to the front of the seat. Put it back through the next slot up (make sure its in the coordinating cover/shell slots).
4. Reattach the harness to the splitter plate.
5. Repeat with the other harness strap.

Hope that helps. Its really an easy change.
Renee

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I think that would work if you can afford to buy a MA now and a Regent later and use the MA as a 2nd seat. I think I would try him in the MA once it is installed in the vehilce first though as sometimes do to the seat slope children sit differently in the seats in the vehicle then they do when the seat are out.

mommyoftwoboys

I got the straps changed, YAY me, I fit it back to him, and he sits much more comfortably, well, maybe not much more, but, I feel better lol. His shoulders were over the first slots. It's amazing how fast these kids grow, either he shot up since I bought the marathon, or I didn't notice that he was pretty much right at the top of the first slots.

As far as the car seats, despite needing to set money aside for our vacation/KonnorBears first birthday trip. I am going to figure out a way to budget in buying the Regent when it comes more available. As soon as I get my refund from babyuniverse, (it has been nearly a week, well tomorrow will be a week since it was confirmed cancelled, but ten days since I Called to cancel it) Once I get that back, I could go out and buy the marathon.
This cosco in my car has given its last rides.
I'm ready to feel like my oldest is in a safer seat.

How about the Omega, whats everyones thoughts on the Alpha Omega.
I just pulled this out of the garage. It has the adjustable head rest on it. Which now that I think about it, may be easier, but doesn't seem like the safest?
Is it?
When I finish cleaning the cover on it, I was going to sit him in it and see if I can adjust it fully to fit my oldest right now.

LuvBug

what about let him use the MA you have currently and get a cheap rearfacing seat for your youngest?
I dont remember your exact situation, so not sure if this would work or not? but it would be a little better money wise.

LuvBug

I got the straps changed, YAY me, I fit it back to him, and he sits much more comfortably, well, maybe not much more, but, I feel better lol. His shoulders were over the first slots. It's amazing how fast these kids grow, either he shot up since I bought the marathon, or I didn't notice that he was pretty much right at the top of the first slots.

is he rear or forward facing? do you have the straps above or below his shoulders?
is this your younger or your older?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
How old is your oldest? Weight?

All carseats have to pass the same safety tests. Some carseats just have more additional features to them.

The AO has low top harness slots and are outgrown very quickly. They have a high rf weight but ff kids tend to outgrow them quickly. The very top harness slot on the AO is only for use as a booster and cannot be used for the harness. I find them hard to tighten and adjust the harness on some of the AO and find the base tends to get in the way of that. If I had the AO and needed to and could use it I would. If he still fits in this seat, I see no problem using it until it is out grown.

I bought my MA when DS was two, he was just below the second from top slots, I have been watching him and as of yet has not grown above them. He is now 2.5. I am hoping that the 2" he has left in the seat will take 2 years to reach (I can hope, can't I?!). So if you got a MA then that might buy you a year or two to save up for the Regent.

mommyoftwoboys

is he rear or forward facing? do you have the straps above or below his shoulders?
is this your younger or your older?

the Marathon I have currently is for my youngest. He is rear Facing. His shoulders were over the first slots, (please don't tell me I have to turn him around now) the way you were asking these questions, I can just imagine what could possibly come next. I don't have to turn him forward facing because he's not in the lower slots right? He's still under a year. The straps are now Above, I guess thats what you consider it. His shoulders were past the lower slots so I moved them to the next one.

LuvBug

ok good he is rearfacing. ALL the slots are good for rearfacing in the MA so you NEVER have to turn him forward facing just because of slots.
BUT for rearfacing the harness should be below his shoulders... so you need to fix them lol! you dont have to uninstall the seat to do it when its rearfacing though. since you can access the back from underneath. Unless your car is just cramped.
He should be good in the marathon rearfacing until he 33lbs or the top of his head meets the top of the shell(and its such a long shell its doubtful to be outgrown this way before he reaches 33lbs).

About your oldest though. Since he can fit in the marathon... maybe getting a scenera or uptown for your youngest and using the marathon for your oldest would do best until you can get your hands on a regent. That would be better money wise.

I dont remember about your AO, but if it isnt expired, has never been in an accident, and you have never washed the straps... then it would do good for a rearfacing seat for your youngest instead of a scenera or uptown(and then you wouldnt have to spend any money until the regent).

mommyoftwoboys

How old is your oldest? Weight?

All carseats have to pass the same safety tests. Some carseats just have more additional features to them.

The AO has low top harness slots and are outgrown very quickly. They have a high rf weight but ff kids tend to outgrow them quickly. The very top harness slot on the AO is only for use as a booster and cannot be used for the harness. I find them hard to tighten and adjust the harness on some of the AO and find the base tends to get in the way of that. If I had the AO and needed to and could use it I would. If he still fits in this seat, I see no problem using it until it is out grown.

I bought my MA when DS was two, he was just below the second from top slots, I have been watching him and as of yet has not grown above them. He is now 2.5. I am hoping that the 2" he has left in the seat will take 2 years to reach (I can hope, can't I?!). So if you got a MA then that might buy you a year or two to save up for the Regent.

THe only thing that doesn't make sense is how you said the top slots, well technically, there is only one slot. It just moves up and down. I most definately don't want to put him in the Booster with the seatbelt. What is the Rearfacing weight for the Alpha Omega?, (I guess I ought to look it up )
heh)

Someone else asked this, think a child wouldn't mind getting a new car seat for their birthday lol.

sniffygirl

For RFing kiddos the straps should be at the slot even with or below the child's shoulders. Only for FF can the straps be in the slot above the shoulders.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
the Marathon I have currently is for my youngest. He is rear Facing. His shoulders were over the first slots, (please don't tell me I have to turn him around now) the way you were asking these questions, I can just imagine what could possibly come next. I don't have to turn him forward facing because he's not in the lower slots right? He's still under a year. The straps are now Above, I guess thats what you consider it. His shoulders were past the lower slots so I moved them to the next one.

For rf you want the straps to be at or below the shoulders and ff at or above the shoulders.

What about putting the youngest rf in the AO til 35lbs and put the oldest in the MA?

JaRylan

Rear facing harness has to be AT or BELOW the shoulder.

Forward facing harness has to be AT or ABOVE the shoulder.

What about putting the youngest rear facing in the Alpha Omega (check the manual but if I recall it goes to 35lbs rear facing) and the older boy in the Marathon if he still has room?

I hope I'm understanding everything correctly!

tchrgrrl

Sounds like you did the right thing with the little one rear facing - you should keep him rear facing until he is 33 pounds in the MA - or until his head/height reaches the max (I forget right now what that is).

We had to replace our seats after an accident and the Regent was impossible to find right away so we put DS1 (4 years old, 45 pounds and about 41 inches) in a forward facing Decathlon (same frame as the MA). He fit well and it was a good in between seat for us until we got the Regent - if we needed a spare seat we would have a second MA to accomodate both of our kids (one rear facing and one forward).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
THe only thing that doesn't make sense is how you said the top slots, well technically, there is only one slot. It just moves up and down. I most definately don't want to put him in the Booster with the seatbelt. What is the Rearfacing weight for the Alpha Omega?, (I guess I ought to look it up )
heh)

Someone else asked this, think a child wouldn't mind getting a new car seat for their birthday lol.

There is technically one slot that you move up the notches at the back, but the very top notch is only to be used for booster seat mode.

LuvBug

heh)

it is 35lbs rearfacing, so it will last 2lbs longer than the MA which would be good too. You want to rearface as long as possible. I posted just a minute before you, with a few suggestions.
If the AO is in correct condition then I say use it RFing and use the MA FFing for your boys.

mommyoftwoboys

So I have to redo that. grrr lol. I kept reading that the shoulders were supposed to be at the slots or below the slots. Wish They would have specified that it was ff and not for both.
LoL, ok, I guess I am off to do that now.

I need go finish the Alpha Omega cleaning and sit my oldest in it to see how it fits. So we'll see.

LuvBug

just dont clean the straps. Im not sure what dorel's policy is on strap cleaning, if they allow you to use a water damp rag only or what.
I was thinking the AO for your youngest though, as you said your oldest was already 37lbs or so(was that fully clothed?)

scatterbunny

My daughter was too tall for the Alpha Omega at 38 inches tall. She was a smidge below the second-to-top slots of the Marathon at that point. If your oldest is fitting the MA about the same way, he's most likely too tall for the AO. But the AO is an awesome rear-facing seat to 35 pounds, so use that for the RF child and the MA for the older child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC