Question about BRU/TRU Coupons/GCs

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I got an e-mail from Toys R Us this morning advertising free $15 gift card if you buy (among other things) 3 Tide detergents. On the second page, there's also a coupon for $3 off ALL laundry detergent. Does this mean I could buy 3, get $3 off of one of those, and still get the $15 GC?

Then, I could combine the $15 GC with my $5 GC for "fanning" them on FB, and bring in an old carseat to get 25% off a purchase?

ADS

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
That's a darn good question and I will be following this post to find out what other people have to say....
Why? You ask?

Well, I was at BRU about a week ago because I needed to buy a swing and 3 bouncer seats for work. I had 3 coupons:
20% off any item
15% off a bouncer/swing
$5 off any bouncer

In the past, this would have been no problem at all, BUT apparently BRU has changed their computer/register system (even though the computers are still from like 1999) and now you can't "stack" coupons in the same order!
Oh, and since the swing was an additional $10 off for "clearance", I couldn't use a coupon on the "clearance" item.
I was like, "WHAT?!"
So I bought 4 items, and could only use ONE coupon on ONE of the items?!

If I go to the grocery store and have 3 coupons for $1.00 off Tide detergent, I can buy 3 jugs of Tide and use a coupon on each. Right? Right.

It makes no freaking sense. Needless to say, I was ticked off...and still am. I wrote an email to BRU corporate, but basically got a standard "thanks so much for your feedback" email.

So my thoughts for BRU right now? Your prices aren't that great to begin with. If you are going to get crazy with coupon restrictions, you are really going to lose business!! Including mine!

msg221

In the past, if I bought more than one item with the coupon, they would apply the discount to each item. I haven't tried that lately, so not sure if they still will. It's worth a try though!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I went in today, and I was able to use the coupon and get the $15 GC. There were two issues: 1) They didn't have the correct size detergent bottles with the display talking about the GCs, and they had a hard time tracking down the right size when I asked them what was going on. 2) The computer didn't want to accept the coupon at first. This was unrelated to the GC (that didn't pop up on the screen until the very end), and she was able to get it to go through eventually, but I was worried there for a minute.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Glad it worked. Not surprised there were problems. I loathe being a cashier because the coupons are almost always problematic. Sigh.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Shumnum, you have to say, "I have all these coupons and all these items, can we ring them up separately so I can use one coupon on each item?".

Not that you'll ever go there again, but that's the trick.

Yeah. It sucks.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Yes, the cashier offered to do that for me, but we would have been standing there for about 45 minutes since all 3 purchases had to be tax exempt....which means that for each purchase they have to enter:

my name
my title
the organization name
the organization address
the organization phone number
the organization's tax ID number
my driver's license number

which takes FOREVER.
siigh.
But that is a good tip generally speaking!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC