Pushing against seat with feet

Mommy2Mya

My daughter has started pushing her feet into the back of the seat, thus pushing the top of her MA back for a few seconds at a time. I was wondering if it's bad for that kind of strain to be on the carseat, and if it would cause any damage, etc. And if so, how on earth can I get her not to do it? I can't exactly do anything to stop her:(

ADS

Mommy2Mya

The actual seat itself doesn't move, it's the top part near her shoulders that gets pushed back an inch or so with the force of her pushing against the back of the seat.

Mommy2Mya

She is 21 months, and is back rear-facing. The carseat is installed very well, it doesn't even move a tiny bit side to side. It's not the installation, it's just her pushing really hard against the seat. It's like the same as someone in front of you on an airplane for example. When they push backwards on the seat you can see it move a bit backwards for a second. It's not messing up the installation at all, or making it any looser, I just figured that a lot of you ladies who practice extended rear-facing would have had this happen. I was just worried about the strain on the seat back.

oxeye

I have no idea whether or not it is bad for the seat. And at 21 months it can be hard to tell them to stop and really have them understand. At least I know my 22 month old would just think it's a game. I was hoping your child was a bit older so you could tell her to stop and she'd understand.

Sorry I'm not any more help! My older DD never tried that and my little one is still really too short to be able to get any leverage if she did try. ;)

ThreeBeans

Oh, I understand, I thought it was a ff seat :p

If you have a proper install and have it tethered, I personally woudln't be at all concerned.

Mommy2Mya

Thanks ladies:)

Hopefully it doesn't have some sort of negative effect the plastic or something. At least she doesn't do it ALL the time, just sometimes when she is bored it would seem.

ThreeBeans

It certainly wouldn't put any more strain on it than a 150 pound woman getting in the seat and slamming her knee into it to get a tight install, right?

Morganthe

DD used to do that when she rf'd in the Triumph and I HATED IT when she did! She was such a strong child she made the carseat back flex almost 2 inches right into my headrest & shoulder area of my seat. It didn't matter if she was happy or mad, it continued for over 2 weeks before I had enough. If she had been 22 months, I probably could have stopped it, but at 18 months, there was no hope.

It's one of the major reasons I ended up turning her then. Hey, I thought I was doing great to rf THAT long. :eek: Even the doctors were pressing me to turn her around. Basically, it was such a distraction when I was driving, I was worried about all of our safety. It was just as bad as that sudden shrill scream that other kids have occasionally.

Good luck and hopefully she'll outgrow this behavior soon. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC