pt cruiser questions

ladyslipper71

I have read through this entire site about all posts related to pt cruisers. I still have a couple of questions.

We have a 2002 pt cruiser. I have had no problems with our current seats in our car and didn't realize there were so many problems with them. Right now, I have our 3 yo in a GN outboard and our 15 mo rf in a FPSVD outboard. Both have been easy to install.

Our problem: baby due in January. I have seen all of the rec. for how challenging it is going to be to get a 3rd seat in there. We have a Graco Snugride but have to check on the expiration date.

Question #1: Is it generally easier to put the rf outboard? I will have 2 rf for a while.

Question #2: Is there an order to installing them that is easier than another? Start in the middle?

Question #3: Any suggestions for a new seat if I had to get one? I understand a new seat is much cheaper than a new car. :) I would love to keep the seats we have, if possible but am willing to get something new.

I do plan on having all of this checked out by a tech. I think it can be done. No one is ready for a booster which might help for space.

Thanks,
Sandy

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm not familiar with your vehicle, so these are just answers about 3-across in general.

#1. Yes, it's usually easier to have the RF seats outboard. The FF child in the center can often crawl under an outboard RF seat, or climb through the gap between the two front seats. You can buckle, or check his/her buckling job from the front after buckling the two RF kids.

#2. You'll need to make sure each carseat is tight independently, and not "faking" you because it's leaning on the carseat next to it. So install the center carseat first, then take it out and install the outboard seats. Once you know how to get tight installs on them, the order you re-install them will depend on how the seats puzzle.

#3. At least one Radian. They are the narrowest seat on market.

Also, boosters are not usually very narrow, and the fact that you have to reach between the seats to buckle them every time you use them means they are actually not helpful or convenient in 3-across situations. :thumbsup:

ladyslipper71

That is helpful.
A follow up question: I know that I have had a good install in all of the locations that I want the seats to go now to try the ones that I have. You said to try to install each individually. Then try them all together. Should I just try to install the middle seat first and go from there?

I'm thinking of trying the Graco Snugride outboard/driverside, GN middle, and FPSVD outboard/passenger side. I was going to try seat belts for the outboards and anchor for the middle.

Pixels

You need to make sure that each seat is independently tight. Install the middle seat first, get it tight enough (less than one inch of movement at the belt path). Install the two outboard seats, get them tight. Then take out the center seat and make sure that the two outboard seats were each tight enough.

ladyslipper71

Has anyone on here ever done or seen a successful 3 across in a pt cruiser? I have looked and haven't seen anything.

I'm now thinking that one of my "puzzle" pieces needs to be a different infant seat. Which is the narrowest? Is it hard to belt in an infant seat all the time without a base?:confused:

Pixels

The narrowest infant seat is the BabyTrend. There's two versions, one with a 22 pound weight limit and the other with a 30 pound limit. They both have rather shorter shells, so will be outgrown sooner rather than later. The next narrowest is the Chicco KeyFit, which also has two versions, 22 and 30.

I would try to avoid using an infant seat without the base on a regular basis. Yes, it's a royal pain. And the more times you reinstall it, the more opportunities you have to make a mistake.

What about replacing the Nautilus with a Radian? I know FFing Radian next to the BabyTrend does puzzle together. When baby is ready to move out of the infant seat, the Radian and FPSVD will puzzle together well when they're facing the same direction. I'm thinking initally BabyTrend, Nautilus, RF FPSVD. Then Nautilus, RF Radian, RF FPSVD. If they all fit, this is just me thinking. I don't know for sure they'll fit.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Boy, I don't know if you're going to get a GN, RF FPSVD, and Snugride in a PT Cruiser. It looks like the hip room in that seat is 47", which is at least 2" less than in my Ford Focus - in which I was barely (and I mean barely) able to squeeze a FF FPSVD, FF Radian, and GN. I realize those aren't the same seats you have, but honestly I think that combination puzzles better than what you have - just makes me think you're going to have space issues. :twocents:

Definitely try it, though, since you already have the FPSVD/GN/Snugride. I think you'll do much better to replace the GN with a Radian, and use a narrower infant seat if at all possible. (Actually I think you'd do best with two Radians and a narrow infant seat. Might even be able to use your Snugride if you have two Radians.)

ladyslipper71

I guess one good thing is that my kids are pretty small. I will check out the Baby Trend seat. I'm having a bit of a hard time convincing dh that we may need to buy 2 new seats. :eek:

I know that if I buy the Radian we will use it for a long time. I just really hadn't planned on purchasing a new infant seat too. Oh well.

Is the GN a wide seat in its class?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Is the GN a wide seat in its class?

Yes, it is. I'd replace it first, then see if you can get the Radian, FPSVD, and your current infant seat to work. That's probably your best bet for only needing to buy one new carseat. Then if that doesn't work, you can consider your options for which of the other two to replace with a second Radian, yk?

As for your dh, maybe point out that new carseats are cheaper than new cars? :)

APT

That will be difficult. Less than 47" of hip room. Take a tape measure and find out how much width you have left currently.

Maedze

That will be difficult. Less than 47" of hip room. Take a tape measure and find out how much width you have left currently.

Unfortunately, this number will be essentially meaningless. It's more about how seats puzzle than 'hip room' by tape measure.

OP, if you do use LATCH in the center, make sure that your child restraint also allows using a non-standard spacing middle position. Many child restraints don't.

As the others have said, that particular combination of seats is very likely not going to puzzle in your car, and you'll probably need to buy at least one Radian.

ladyslipper71

"OP, if you do use LATCH in the center, make sure that your child restraint also allows using a non-standard spacing middle position. Many child restraints don't."-Quote

I don't really know what this means. I believe I can either use the middle latch or the outside latches but not both at the same time. I was planning on the middle latch and seatbelts on the outside. Should I use seatbelts for all 3? It doesn't matter to me since once I put all of this together, I will not be moving anything.

My ds loves the GN so much. It is hard for me to think about getting something different for him, but what choice do I have. I am going to try the combination of seats I have now first.

Maedze

You can use the center position LATCH IF the child restraint allows it. It isn't standard spacing. LATCH anchors are required to be 380mm apart. The middle space on the PT cruiser is wider than that. Many child restraints do NOT allow you to use LATCH on non-standard-spacing LATCH bars.

You can check the manual of the seat you plan to install in the middle, ask about a specific seat here, or just go with the seatbelt :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
For a 3 across scenario, it's likely to be more workable if you install all 3 carseats with the vehicle seatbelt rather than with the lower LATCH anchors. Lower LATCH anchors for the outboard (side) seating positions are typically spaced a tick or two farther away from the rear doors in vehicles compared to the spacing/outboard anchorages for the vehicle seatbelts. That extra tick or two of room might be what is needed to successfully install 3 seats across. It doesn't hurt to try LATCH installations, but don't rule out 3 across entirely without trying all seatbelt installations.

ladyslipper71

I had no idea that it was not standards spacing in the middle, nor that I shouldn't use it if the manual said so. I only checked in the vehicle's manual. Learned something new.

I am planning on using the belts on the outboard seats. I will check in the manual for my GN and see what it says about non standard spacing. Anyone here know?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Graco rescinded allowing a center LATCH installation with non-standard spacing according to the 2009 LATCH manual, though, a change from previously allowing it when the 2007 LATCH manual was published.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Graco rescinded allowing a center LATCH installation with non-standard spacing according to the 2009 LATCH manual, though, a change from previously allowing it when the 2007 LATCH manual was published.

My mistake! :eek: I did read the entire 2009 LATCH manual when I got it, but I guess that bit of info didn't stick with me. Wish Graco would make up their minds about things like this. :rolleyes: :thumbsdown: I was going by the 2009 SafetyBeltSafe summary sheets.

ladyslipper71

Ok, got it. Now to throw one more thing into the mix since you all know the answers, do any of the Radian seats allow a Latch install with non standard spacing? This would be the only other seat I would put in the middle right now. Actually probably will have to at this point.

How does a person check to see which seats allow this? I know that I installed both my Snugride and FPSVD in the center with a Latch and thought nothing of it based on the owner's manual. Is there a list public somewhere?

Thanks for all of the help,
Sandy;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC