Problem with Graco Airbooster for smaller kids?

sirrahn

I asked about boosters for my 7 & 9.5 yr olds a few days ago and a couple of people recommended trying the Airbooster. We made a trek to BRU today and although my older DS liked it and it did seem to fit him well, I was really concerned with how it fit my 7 yr old. He's not an overly big kid (50lbs and 48"), but certainly well above the minimum size to use it.

When he had his bottom all the way back in the seat, his feet stuck straight out like they would if he were trying to sit in the car w/o a booster. He had to slump way forward to sit comfortably. The seatbelt on the test bench was screwed up and I really didn't want to head out to the parking lot with 4 kids in 95 degree heat so I can't be certain of how the seatbelt would fit, but common sense seems to tell me that armrests or no, that could be a bad thing. As far as I could tell, it's not adjustable at all.

Anyone have a comment?

Oh and BTW I stuck my girls in the Triumph Advance while we were there.....it's *really* nice! My 4 yr old looked like she could have headroom to rearface heightwise, and she's over the top of her MA. She's probably right at 35lbs though.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
IME, so long as the vehicle has either Lightweight locking latchplates or Switchable locking retractors (all vehicles since 1996 have a version of one or the other) then kiddo will be able to stay flush with the back of the booster -- just engage the locking mechanism & he shouldn't be able to scoot forward.... My parents have severe arthritis + nerve damage so my kiddo has been using a booster with them as soon as she met the minimum size requirement :eek: (We did a lot of practicing proper use in the living room 1st)

IME, kids are also thankful for that extra leg support as they grow!

sirrahn

IME, so long as the vehicle has either Lightweight locking latchplates or Switchable locking retractors (all vehicles since 1996 have a version of one or the other) then kiddo will be able to stay flush with the back of the booster -- just engage the locking mechanism & he shouldn't be able to scoot forward.... My parents have severe arthritis + nerve damage so my kiddo has been using a booster with them as soon as she met the minimum size requirement :eek: (We did a lot of practicing proper use in the living room 1st)

IME, kids are also thankful for that extra leg support as they grow!

I see what you're saying, but I can't expect him to ride with his feet sticking out either though can I?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Heh -- sorry, that visual was amusing :p

What other boosters did you try? Parkway, Monarch, Compass B510 & Confidence are my other favorites....

sirrahn

Heh -- sorry, that visual was amusing :p

What other boosters did you try? Parkway, Monarch, Compass B510 & Confidence are my other favorites....

Yeah, he did look pretty funny:D The only ones of your list we haven't tried are the Compass and the Monarch. I think Target has the 505, but I know it's different and this BRU didn't have the Monarch. Really he's still ok in his SR/C as far as fit goes. I just figured if I was replacing his brother's I'd get him a new one too.

I really like how the Confidence fits both of them, but honestly I'm having a little trouble getting over the thought of an Evenflo seat as a primary seat:eek: Looking at the Advance too though I do see that they're really making some strides. I was also really disappointed to see the thin plastic on the torso part of the Airbooster. The Confidence wraps around a little more and has thick EPS there too.

Still debating......

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree Nat, it's crazy! I wish they'd pop a 4-8 age label on the Turbo, and a 7-12 age label on the Air...:eek:

I think so far only a couple 'big' kids we know are in this booster, but I'm betting it's going to be a problem when the general public starts sticking their three year olds in this thing :(

wondering1

Does he like to cross his legs while riding in the car? That's what a lot of kids do in their bigger harnessed seats.

The Air Booster is definitely a big kid booster.

sirrahn

Does he like to cross his legs while riding in the car? That's what a lot of kids do in their bigger harnessed seats.

The Air Booster is definitely a big kid booster. Is the Compass B510 available locally yet?

Hmmmm....I don't know that he could with the armrests and definitely wouldn't stay like that all the time. I haven't done much looking for the 510 yet....I was going to check w/USA Baby, but it's a drive for me, and we're busy the rest of this week. I guess I could just order it from Target.com.

sirrahn

I'm betting it's going to be a problem when the general public starts sticking their three year olds in this thing :(

That was my *exact* thought! Of course the sales guy at BRU who kept coming over and reiterating that it was *definitely* going to be the best seat for them sure didn't help that fear. He was very eager to show me the brochure and everything. :rolleyes:

I finally just told him I'd been a tech and knew exactly what I was looking for so he could go away (well, I didn't exactly say that LOL!) thank you very much.

Thanks for your :twocents:

cheerbop

We have the Airbooster and we love it!:thumbsup: But, I definitely would say it is more of a big kids booster.

My DS is almost 52" and 53lbs (skinny thing....) and it fits him great. He is pushing 10 but he is more of the size of an 7/8 yr old I would say.

I wanted to like the Compass but it was not deep enough in the seat.:(

maidencomfort

My 7yo has had to ride in the air booster a couple of times, and while his knees weren't at the edge like his older sisters, it wasn't uncomfortable to him, and he stays where he's supposed to (well, the bottom part of him - which is why he's primarily still harnessed!). I think because of how much give the seat has, the edge won't put a lot of pressure on smaller kids' legs, which would make it very uncomfortable - kwim?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC