Possible Monterey problem

mamakc

I thought the Monterey fit pretty well in the captains chair of my 1997 Honda Odyssey. I happened to set it in the seat without the back on, and realized that the bottom of it doesn't sit flush with the back of the seat. The side bolsters of the chair are too close together at the bottom. I can't locate my manual. Is this a problem?

I.... might be hoping it is. Because I have been looking for an excuse to try the ProBooster. :whistle:

ADS

cm_nghs1

I am pretty sure it needs to be flat back against the seat.
I would think once you put a child in it they are not going to be able to sit properly.

love that you are hoping it is an issue :p

mamakc

She sits in it fine and the fit is fine. The shoulder belt guide caused problems so we tried it without and it's a good fit without. I wouldn't have even noticed that the bottom wasn't flush against the back of the seat, but just happened to take the seat apart to move it and low and behold the thing doesn't fit there. I hate it in the third row, it doesn't appear to be compatible in the second, I guess we are back to square one?

-Krista
DD~5.75~ Diono Monterey/HBturbo
DS~3.75~ FF Radian XTSL/Maestro
DN~2.25~ RF Coccoro

mamakc

featherhead said:
I used my sister's Monterey in my '98 Odyssey last week and I thought it fit fine. Maybe try reclining the seat a notch?

That's the thing, I thought it did too. The gap wasn't visible with the back on, but it's there.

-Krista
DN~2.25~ RF Coccoro

scariestone

There can be a gap behind the back and the seat but not the bottom and the seat. At least according to the diono rep that emailed me. They said this: "In addition, there can be a gap as long as the head wings have support and the bottom of the Monterey bottom is flush on the vehicle seat." I wasn't even asking about that so take it how you will. My problem was my seatbelt won't retract and I just happened to mention I had it in properly with no gaps.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
*I'm* not sweating it out because the booster is firmly anchored in place with LATCH in my vehicle and my dd is able to sit correctly in the seat with the seatbelt correctly on her. I'm curious what Diono would say about it and if it makes a difference with it being LATCHed.

mamakc

murphydog77 said:
*I'm* not sweating it out because the booster is firmly anchored in place with LATCH in my vehicle and my dd is able to sit correctly in the seat with the seatbelt correctly on her. I'm curious what Diono would say about it and if it makes a difference with it being LATCHed.

I dont have LATCH.

That actually brings me to another concern. Should I be worried about using such a heavy booster unlatched?

-Krista
DN~2.25~ RF Coccoro

cm_nghs1

That's what I figured the problem was.. what a great picture to illustrate :)

From what I read in the manual it doesn't have to be latched in.. and older cars DON'T have latch and I think all seats have to pass with just seatbelt? I think the latch is more for when a child isn't in it since its such a heavy projectile.

But.. from what I've heard the monterey manual is clear as mud (I was so impressed with it being only 20 pages and so tiny.. but I guess it isn't so good). So perhaps someone has talked to Diono about the latch?

Also, I just learned yesterday, Monterey needs additional head support. FYI.

featherhead

Yeah I would think it should be ok. The only problem I could see is if you were using it backless like that and your child was sitting too far back so the belt was on their legs instead of across the hips.

mamakc

Upon further inspection, the gap is actually much bigger with the back on. It's probably got a hand width of space between the base and the seat back. Is that ok?

Again, I can't locate my manual. :( I'm not thrilled with the fit overall as it is. I might make a new thread about that, though.

-Krista
DN~2.25~ RF Coccoro

featherhead

Upon further inspection, the gap is actually much bigger with the back on. It's probably got a hand width of space between the base and the seat back. Is that ok?

Again, I can't locate my manual. :( I'm not thrilled with the fit overall as it is. I might make a new thread about that, though.

-Krista
DN~2.25~ RF Coccoro

Is the back of the booster in contact with the seat back? If so I would be fine with that.

mamakc

Here's the best pic I could get. Side view at the bottom of the booster.

th_2012-10-31110245.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC