possible car shopping this weekend, what should we try?

java

The features we want::

Under $15k used (so not a normally very expensive car new)

good gas mileage....30mpg's or greater highway, we drive a ton!

Roomy, I want to be able to put a choice of seats, not just what I am limited to with my smaller 05 elantra.

would love to be able to do 3 across. Not that we plan on needing it, but I like the option and the option to sit inthe back with the kids on long trips and such.

If there is an option of a manual transmission you would be dh's best friend lol

So...what should we look at? Does this car exist? I love the idea of the mazda 5, but it is lower on the mpgs (28 highway) so not bad but still.

Love the equinox! crossover, kinda suv with 32 mpg! But I have read that it is NOT 3 across friendly.

We love our elantra, but it is feeling very tight these days. Maybe the newer ones are bigger? Or maybe a sonata instead? Really just not sure on the size.

But other than that we are really lost as to what to look at.

ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

I don't think a Sonata is going to be very 3 across friendly. The Camry is fairly roomy, the 07' I drove the other day felt a lot bigger than my 06' Sonata did....but that could be because I've gotten used to my Civic :p

jessi f

We just bought an 07 Sonata a few weeks ago (I should update my car hunting threads :eek:) A newer one would probably be in your price range, we got our for $7000 from a private seller. So far we really like it :)

It has awesome safety ratings, gets 31 mpg highway, and has a manual transmission. My DH, who is 6'5'', has more room in the drivers seat than he does in our Mazda5. Ive been a bad car seat nerd and havnt played with my seats in there at all, but I *think* a 3 across could happen with the right seats.

java

Well if a sonata isn't/barely bigger than our elantra then we will probably try something else. The kids are just going to keep getting bigger and the car smaller lol

is a prius tiny? I doubt we could find one for a good price but you never know lol

java

We just bought an 07 Sonata a few weeks ago (I should update my car hunting threads :eek:) A newer one would probably be in your price range, we got our for $7000 from a private seller. So far we really like it :)

It has awesome safety ratings, gets 31 mpg highway, and has a manual transmission. My DH, who is 6'5'', has more room in the drivers seat than he does in our Mazda5. Ive been a bad car seat nerd and havnt played with my seats in there at all, but I *think* a 3 across could happen with the right seats.

I posted at the same time as you. Maybe we will go by and look at them, no harm :)

And bad carseat nerd! I want to know how you compare the 2nd row in the m5 to the backseat of the sonata! Front to back space anyway since obviously you can't play 3 across in the m5

EmmaGrace'sMom

Well if a sonata isn't/barely bigger than our elantra then we will probably try something else. The kids are just going to keep getting bigger and the car smaller lol

is a prius tiny? I doubt we could find one for a good price but you never know lol
Yeah the Prius is fairly small, I believe it's considered a compact car.

atw

Assuming the 2nd gen and beyond: Is the Prius tiny? Depends what you mean. For 3 across, tricky. Front to back? Not bad. We have two rear facers on ours, but if push came to shove, with the right seats 3 across is possible I'd bet. Cargo space is pretty good too, just cramped side to side

And though the 2nd gen is a narrow car, I believe it's front to back length puts it as mid-sized. i not an aveo/mini or anything. 1st gen is most certainly compact.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC