Please help!

Katy

I'm looking for a new solution for my moms medi van. The fourms seem to be not loading properly when searching. I've been looking at 3 across and radian installs. I have no access to the computer and search on my palm is a pain.

7yr harness but is pretty much booster trained. Barely fits FF in radian. Close to 50lbs.
3yr RF in most cars except this one he is FF in onside air top slot. 30lbs
22m RF OSA 2nd to top slot almost ready to move to last one. 27lbs.

I now have an extra radian to fit. I'd like to RF both littles. The radian does not fit FF in center, and the OSA does not fit RF in center. No latch, tether is center only just on side of 50/50 split bench. Have to do 3 across since the middle is used for a wheelchair. Chair is positioned very close to center 3rd row. I don't recall if the fits RF properly on all seating positions.

So I'd like to use the radians. I also have a new Evenflo big kid HHB, but 7yr needs help buckling in next to others. If the 22m sits next to him he stays in position, if the Tyr sits next to him he needs to be reminded about position. I'm open to buying anything, no budget.

ADS

Katy

So breaking it down a bit, does the radian fit RF in all three positions? Considering a GN, vest, or booster for 7yr. Can the vest be used? There is tether in center but no headrest. Also no LBB FOR 7yr he is very uncomfortable in it.

Katy

Radian with angle adjuster center, 22mo.

What vehicle is it? Make/model/year?

How did I forget to add that?? Sorry. It's a 2002 town and country EX. The floor in the center is lowered by 6 inches. The seats are all still in reg posistion. It seems to have long stocks in front of the brite of seat. The center in the slpit have huge plastic covers. Sorry to be slow the pages aren't loading for me.

Katy

Next week I'm traveling to see a new tech, I've been told that they can possibly send extra seats with to try out fit. I just have to know which seats to request. We'll be traveling 45min each to meet. The kids will not be able to come with since I'll be meeting her on my lunch break during my work conferance. We will only have about a half hour or so to meet that day. The next check will be at the end of march. I can text pictures of the wheel chair and seats to someone if they want to upload on here :) Thanks

Pixels

The vest can be used if you have a tether anchor or lap/shoulder belt, AND head support at least to the top of the child's ears.

Katy

So we wouldn't need a tether if positioned on side with shoulder and headrest? He is pretty short, center no headrest he may have time, I'll sit him on the seat before I go to see. Vest is not ever to be used with a booster seat correct? What size would almost 50lbs be? Do radians generally fit RF with the big plactic hinges? I got a few ideas of what to try but I guess it depends on the radin fit. LOL in the perfect world it would rock if the regent fit between 2 RF radians!! That will never happen!

In the future, can a kid pass the 5 step test without his feet touching the ground? Due to modifications that will never happen...

I'm pretty concerned about the center position seater, that wheelchair is sooo close. :(

Pixels

The wheelchair being so close is why I suggested RFing in the center. The Radian with an angle adjuster takes up very little front to back room.

The vest is never used with a booster, that is correct. The child must sit directly on the vehicle seat. Under 50 pounds would have to be the Small (30-60 pounds, 34-52 inches). Large is 50-80 pounds, 45-57 inches.

The 5-step test does not necessarily include feet touching the ground, though it is an unofficial 6th step. Especially if the floor is close, kids tend to slouch down to get their feet on the floor, which of course any slouching is bad. If the floor is really far away they are less likely to slouch, since it won't really accomplish anything.

One solution to the feet reaching problem is to put something lightweight under the child's feet, like a foam cooler, a pyramid of pool noodles, etc. It needs to be lightweight so that it doesn't cause injury as a projectile in a crash.

Katy

Where can I get a adjuster as fast a possible? Mine is still back ordered on amazon. What would provide the least forward movement on the side position as the wheelchair still sticks out some side to side(handle concern) The vest, a booster, or a harnessed seat??

mom of six

FF RN will not install in center position. Which is the tether position.
OK, so I am a little late to the party, but...
I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with a 50/50 split bench and I have no trouble installing a FF Radian in that position even with the hinges. Here is an excellent tutorial on how to install in the Caravan (Town & Country) http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

In a nut shell
- extend the recline foot of the car seat ***key to success***​
- Position the seat approximately 1.5" out from the vehicle seat bight. **another key to success**​
- twist the female end 3 full turns​
- buckle​
- undo the Velcro in the cover on the side you are buckling and pull the tail of the seat belt through and tighten it from here​

- Kneel in the seat and while holding the male end to prevent it from twisting pull on the tail of the seat belt. I find that using a rocking motion on the car seat while I pull on the belt gets the best results.​

I do not have any interference from the hinge covers.

Incidentally, with the tether and split bench...tether strap should be allowed to go into the split as it is tightened. I learned that from a post by Pixles. Here is a picture of mine for reference.

e23c5c25-19d1-4a69-a1f1-4fd4b8c38910.image

Because of the hinge covers I do not think a RF Radian will fit in that position. The RF boot would not be allowed to fit in to the seat bight because the hinges are in the way. Maybe with the Angle Adjuster...but I have never tried it and I am highly doubtful. I do know that a RN will install RF in an outboard position very easily.

I hear diapers.com still has the AA available. I am waiting for one from Amazon as well.

mom of six

LOL in the perfect world it would rock if the regent fit between 2 RF radians!! That will never happen!

I think I have seen a picture of a FF RN, Regent, FF RN in the back of a Caravan but it may be the older body style. I cannot find it right now. It might be worth a try to attempt RF Radian, Regent, RF Radian.

ETA:Here is the thread with the picture I had seen. It is in post #6
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=96834

In this case it is a 2000 T&C which is the older body style which might be slightly wider but I still think it is worth a try.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC