Please help me pick a convertible

alexandra.p

My son is coming very close to the one inch mark on his Snugride 35 and we need to make a decision about a convertible. I'd like to get it purchased soon so I have time to have it inspected before he needs to ride in it.

I was set on the Radian, but as I said in a thread below, I went to test it and it leans back so far that the front seats need to be way too far forward (I've seen something about a new wedge to help with the incline though?). The other seat we tested was a Britax Boulevard which fit nicely, but in the thread below it was suggested that because it is shorter he might outgrow it RF faster.

Here are my requirements/desires and our stats:

-DS is 7 months, 28ish inches (97%), 17ish lbs and is 12 inches from his bum to the top of his shoulder.
-We drive a 2010 Toyota Highlander (single car family)
-Based on his current height/weight it would seem that he will outgrow a seat RF by height rather than weight, so I'd like a seat good for extended RF for a tall kiddo.
-We travel quite a bit, so a seat that is reasonably easy to install with a seatbelt (both on a plane and in a car) would be ideal. We are also willing to purchase a reasonably priced second seat for travel if that makes sense.
-We do enough road-tripping that I am willing to pay the extra $ for the extra padding to keep him extra comfortable in a given seat.
-Ultimately we'll probably end up with three across which is one of the reasons I was leaning toward the Radian.

I wish someone could make a decision for me. I am the type to hem and haw too much about what is best and I just need to pick a seat and move on.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
ADS

rachelandtyke

I personally like any of the True Fits for a taller, lighter rear facer. It has one of the tallest shells, but it only rear faces to 35 lbs. My DD outgrew it rear facing by weight at 4y4m, and still fit would have fit rear facing by height at 5 1/2. I think you could easily get to 3-4 in it rear facing. I have travelled with it without issues.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC