Please help me pick a car for 3 kiddos :)

turtlejd

I'm due with #3 in November and we're in the market for a new car to replace my '97 Civic. We have a '06 Prius that we're keeping and we've figured out how to do 3 across in it. At the moment, DD is 5 ~42lbs, 45" in a FF Radian or Marathon and DS is 2 ~34lbs, 35" in a FF Marathon or Roundabout.

After doing 3 across with some friends and relatives, I'm not loving it. DD and DS end up fighting with each other about where to put their arms etc. Every time I have them right next to each other for long periods of time, I just think minivan!

But then I'm really scared to drive such a huge car....I feel like the Prius is big and I'm worried I will never park again.

Another issue is DD plays the cello and while it's only 1/8 right now, it will eventually grow.

I'd like to keep the car for at least 10 years.

I'm looking at:

Mazda5, I'm worried about the lack of cargo space and having the passenger in the back so close to the back. I LOVE the size of the car but wish you could do three in the second row, but not possible.

Odyssey, is amazing, but then I park next to them and just get scared about the size.

Sienna, same thing as the Odyssey. And I'm not really liking the idea that the 2011 Siennas only have 3 latch positions.

Honda CR-V, I've always wanted this car. Love the split shelf thing in the trunk. I know 3 across is possible, but will it drive me crazy?

Subaru Outback, again 3 across? will I go bonkers?

For those of you who always have 3 across, does it work out ok?
Those who had a small car and switched to a larger one, will I eventually learn how to drive a giant car?
Is the Mazda5 a good choice since I'm parking phobic or is it too small?

Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

Thanks! :),
Joyce

ADS

luckyclov

The Mazda5 would be a do-able choice with 3 kids if you didn't need cargo space. With the 3rd row up, or even split, there just isn't much. Like...an umbrella stroller takes most of the space, so my guess would be a cello would be pushing it. It's a great car - I had one and absolutely loved it. But when I was pregnant with #3, we took a 1,000 mile road trip and realized how much trouble we were going to be in once the baby arrived IF we ever actually wanted to use our car for more than going to the post office. So, literally, on the way home from our 1,000 mile road trip, we stopped at a dealership and bought a fullsize minivan.

So, the 5 + 2 kids = lots of cargo.
The 5 + 3 kids = not so much.

I'm petite and also get parking phobic - and I do just fine with a fullsize minivan (it's my 2nd fullsize). Mine has a backup camera (which I never use, but it's there!)...and, honestly, you just ADJUST to it...doesn't take long. I would go with a minivan - SUVs just don't have the leg room/cargo I "need" (unless we're talking gigantor SUVs)...and minivans are just so darn CONVIENENT!:p

Good luck!

Melanie

I'd highly recommend a van. Being able to separate kids is wonderful. You won't realize how much you love sliding doors until you have them. It's nice to be able to let your older kids climb in and walk to their seats (or roam the vehicle) so they are safe while you're buckling in the baby. It's more convenient when you don't have to put 3 carseats in a row. Your seat choices are more open and it's easier to install them all. While I like the idea of the Mazda 5, I can't see that it will have enough cargo room for you. Anything other than a small umbrella stroller will have to go on the folded down seat next to your child in the third row.

As your kids get older, friends will come into the equation. In 10 years you'll have a 15 and 12 year old. Pre-teens and teens come with lots of friends and lots of driving them places. I like being the carpool mom. You learn a lot about your kids lives from the conversations going on in the back seat. You don't have to decide if taking a friend along is worth having to put someone in the front seat.

We just replaced the van I'd been driving for 6 years. My kids are 15, 5 and 3. For 1/2 second I questioned if I really needed a big vehicle again. Next year my oldest will be driving (gulp) so it will mainly be the younger two. I'm very glad I stuck with a 7 passenger vehicle. I use the extra seating a lot.

Have you had a chance to drive a van yet? They do have a more car like drive than say a truck of the same size. The turning radius is good. I think backing up is the most difficult. You can always get a back up camera if need be. Or a lot of them have the back up sensors. It beeps when something is behind you. It beeps faster the closer you get. I just got a vehicle with the sensors and it's very helpful.

turtlejd

Thank you for your input! :)

clov878: Thanks for sharing your experience with the Mazda5. When I do end up on longer outings, or outings that need more gear, I keep thinking, minivan definitely! But then I just look at them and think they're soooooo huge. I guess I should really just go test them out. Also, good to know that you did learn how to park a big car. I'm really worried about that.

Melanie: Thanks for your input about when they get older. I was thinking when they get older, we'll need the space even less because we won't need to have the giant carseats. They will also eventually be able to sit in the front and the odds of all 3 kids going to the same place with a friend seem kinda slim to me. Scary thought that they might be able to drive one day! :eek: I haven't actually driven in one, though I've been in several. Usually my friends with minivans end up driving me around since they don't fit in my car. :p I should really test them out and I've heard about the things they have that help you park. Those sound really cool!

cookie123

I really recommend a minivan. It's so much better with 3 kids. DD takes out 1 captains chair. Baby goes rf behind the driver, and the older 2 are outboard in the 3rd row. They buckle themselves in, and there's room to get back there to check they're harnessed up right. It works great for every day use.

MarathonMama

After 3 months of my 3 across ......... I'm dreaming of a van ;)

I think we're going to try realllllllly hard to get my 2 year old RF in the third row by herself so she'll stop scratching, throwing things, and kicking her older sister :eek:

turtlejd

After 3 months of my 3 across ......... I'm dreaming of a van ;)

I think we're going to try realllllllly hard to get my 2 year old RF in the third row by herself so she'll stop scratching, throwing things, and kicking her older sister :eek:

Good to know. I'm thinking 3 across will probably drive us all crazy. The kids already manage to fight or really get along very loudly (we're not sure which is worse :p) with a gap between them.

Lisa in WV

You can learn to drive something bigger. We had my husband's truck (Dodge 2500 Mega Cab) for 2 1/2 years before I ever drove it. It was so big, and I was afraid to drive it. There came a point when it was our only vehicle, and I hated to have to depend on him to take me someplace. One day I decided I'd had enough and made up my mind to learn to drive it. (I had previously been driving a Taurus.) It was a little awkward at first, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. After I got used to it, I loved all the space it had inside. When I got my vehicle, I started looking for something big and ended up with an Expedition.

turtlejd

Thanks for all the advice and the vote of confidence that I can learn to drive something bigger! :)

I'm pretty sure now that we'll go with a van, but I'm still very tempted to attempt cramming us all into the Mazda5. It's so nice and small. I really wish it had that third seat in the middle row like the versions in other countries.

turtlejd

Just wanted to update and say I test drove a Mazda5 today with my 2 kiddos and 2 parents. We all fit just fine. DD was in the 3rd row and was fine with the 2nd row seats all the way back. I'm assuming that's how they're supposed to be with carseats. We just used her Turbobooster for the test drive. The carseat for DS was a breeze to install in the 2nd row and grandpa road in the 2nd row. I couldn't really get in the 3rd row with the seats all the way back and my giant belly, but my mom was fine. She's only 5' tall though. In terms of trunk space, I think it will be fine for day to day. My Maclaren Techno fit in the back with all the seats up and there's enough room for groceries and such with one of the seats in the third row folded. I don't think my double jogging stroller will fit, but I think we'll be all right. If we ever need to bring it anywhere, we can always take our Prius.

It's not huge and spacious like a regular minivan, but I'm pretty sure it'll work for us. I'm going to check out the Odyssey too and then decide. I really loved the Mazda5 though. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC