Question Please help figure out what to do with our seat dilema?

mevs mom

My Dd is in a peg perego 30/30 sip. She has about 2.5 to 3 inches above her head and she is well under the weight limit, I was told by a CPST that we should upgrade her to convertible car seat, and we received a free evenflo titan seat.

Currently my older DD, who is five is 42” and 40 pounds is forward facing in a radian XTSL in my car and DH’s car. We have a Mazda 6, and a Nissan xterra. My ODD is forward facing behind the driver seat in a radian and DD2 is rear facing in titan/infant carrier. With the titan behind my passenger seat it makes so that who ever is riding in the passenger is ON-TOP-OF the dashboard. I’m afraid that it isn’t safe for who ever is riding in the passenger seat, which would either be myself or my grandma.

I need a smaller seat to go behind my passenger seat, and a carseat for my DH’s car. I was thinking combi coccoro for my car, and maxi cosi pria 70 for my DH’s car. DD1 also had an older britax boulvard that I really liked, so I wouldn’t be opposed to looking at another britax.

DD2 is 19 pounds, and is 28” tall. Seated at 90 degrees (against a wall) she measures 17.5 inches from her bottom to the top of her head. I’m not sure if she will outgrow the coccoro so quickly.

My older DD was rear facing until she was four, so obviously we are a huge proponent of rear facing, but we need something different/smaller for my car. We could pass the radian down in my DH’s car and get a harnessed high back booster for DD1. There are just so many options I’m not sure the best one. Although, I thought the best idea was to leave DD1 in her radians and get new seats for Dd2.

Any ideas on how to work this out?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You don't need the Titan at a newborn angle at her age, so you can put it more upright and save space. You can go as upright as 30 degrees from vertical.

I'd put the Titan in the Mazda and the Radian rear facing in the Xterra. It'll be pretty upright without too much work and you should be fine putting a passenger in front of it. Then I'd get your DD a new forward facing only seat like the Graco Nautilus or Argos, or the Britax Frontier.

Wendy

Pixels

You don't need the Titan at a newborn angle at her age, so you can put it more upright and save space. You can go as upright as 30 degrees from vertical.

I'd put the Titan in the Mazda and the Radian rear facing in the Xterra. It'll be pretty upright without too much work and you should be fine putting a passenger in front of it. Then I'd get your DD a new forward facing only seat like the Graco Nautilus or Argos, or the Britax Frontier.

Wendy

Evenflo requires their seats to be installed with the line level to the ground. They do not allow a 30 degree installation. AFAIK, only one manufacturer specifies 30 degrees.

mevs mom

wendytthomas said:

Wendy

Carseats are so stressful. DH wanted to keep Dd1 in her radians for as long as possible so when we finally buy combo seats like the frontier/Argos they will last for Dd1 and then can get passed down to Dd2.

So that's why we were thinking of getting tre baby new seats, but it might be a better idea to pass on the radian in the xterra and get a combo seat for that car, and get a more compact seat for my car.

I really like te coccoro but I think it won't last as long RF as we need it, but it can be used by future babies.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Carseats are stressful. That's why we're here. :)

With six years on the harness and high back for the Nautilus/Argos, and 10 years on the backless, and then nine years on the Frontier, any seat your daughter got now would last very well until she was done with carseats. So I think the most cost effective thing to do with the kids and seats you have now is to pass on the Radian to someone who needs it rear facing.

Wendy

mevs mom

Ok so I ordered a coccoro and a radian angle adjuster. If the coccoro is too small I can return it with free shipping from amazon. I'm also going to try the radian angle adjuster in the Mazda and see if it fits better.

Pixels

Ok so I ordered a coccoro and a radian angle adjuster. If the coccoro is too small I can return it with free shipping from amazon. I'm also going to try the radian angle adjuster in the Mazda and see if it fits better.

Unless they have changed their policy since 2009, when you return a seat to them you pay for shipping both ways, even if you had free shipping to you. They deduct the amount of shipping from your refund.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Certain items are eligible for free returns. The CCO seems to be eligible.
To receive FREE 365-Day Returns on your eligible product(s):
1. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return the eligible baby product(s) in new and unopened condition within 365 days from the date of delivery for a full refund in accordance with the promotional terms and conditions below.
2. Just visit our online Returns Center at www.amazon.com/returns and we will guide you through the process and even supply you with a prepaid return mailing label you can print out.
3. Amazon will process your return and issue a full refund with no deduction for shipping after receiving your return of the eligible product(s).

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
But it must be UNOPENED to receive free return shipping... OP needs to try it in her vehicle to see if it works, therefore that would void that free return shipping unfortunately :(

I agree with PPs though that said to give baby the Radian and buy an new seat for older DD... Return the CCO unopened and get a Nautilus, Argos, or Frontier85

mevs mom

jourdysmom said:
But it must be UNOPENED to receive free return shipping... OP needs to try it in her vehicle to see if it works, therefore that would void that free return shipping unfortunately :(

I agree with PPs though that said to give baby the Radian and buy an new seat for older DD... Return the CCO unopened and get a Nautilus, Argos, or Frontier85

I still need to figure out a smaller seat for my mazda though, I don't think a radian is going to fit RF.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Mazda 6? Sure. Have you seen the pictures of the Radian rear facing in the third row of the Mazda5 with the angle adjuster? The 6 is much larger. You shouldn't have a problem if that's what you want in there.

A member here was able to get her Radian into a Mazda3 with the angle adjuster.

Wendy

mevs mom

wendytthomas said:
Mazda 6? Sure. Have you seen the pictures of the Radian rear facing in the third row of the Mazda5 with the angle adjuster? The 6 is much larger. You shouldn't have a problem if that's what you want in there.

A member here was able to get her Radian into a Mazda3 with the angle adjuster.

Wendy

Ok I just saw the Mazda 5, wow look at that install. I'm going to order two angle adjusters and try them out. Can I brace with the AA in the Mazda 6?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What year Mazda? If it doesn't have advanced airbags you can brace. If it does you can only brace on the driver's side.

Wendy

mevs mom

wendytthomas said:
What year Mazda? If it doesn't have advanced airbags you can brace. If it does you can only brace on the driver's side.

Wendy

2007, it does have advanced airbags, so we can't brace in the position. But if we put it on the driver side DH would be too close to drive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC