Please help! Backup/travel/indecisive mom question.

fancyshmancy

For the life of me I cannot make up my mind. My son will be 4 in May, weighs 33 lbs and is 37". He is currently FF in an Advocate. He has recently expressed interest in RF'ing again because his little brother does. I am ALL for this, of course, but I don't know how long it would last. We are traveling next month and will need a car seat for the plane/rental and for a backup in my mom's vehicle for when we return. She has my son a few times a week and currently has a Boulevard in her car.

I have mainly been looking at FF only seats (Maestro, Securekid, and Pioneer) but feel guilty buying him a FF only seat when he COULD (and SHOULD) still be RF'ing. I am wondering if I should buy him another convertible seat, such as the Sureride, so he could RF for a while, and which would be fine for the trip but then possibly be a "downgrade" for a backup seat (ugh, I hate typing that and admitting to it, when they all pass the same tests. I'm really not a snot IRL) . Or should I just get him a FF only seat since it will be longer lasting and his little brother can just move into his current seat?

The trip is such a short time that I feel like I shouldn't worry about how easy it is to travel with also!

Please help me decide!

I have been leaning toward the Securekid or Maestro but can't seem to pull the trigger.

ADS

aeormsby

The Sureride will last longer than the Maestro or Securekid FF (higher harness slots) and he could RF until he's 40" so I'd probably go that route. The only possible issue with using it RF is that it can't be installed more upright. But he might change his mind again after a week and there's nothing to feel guilty about for FF an almost 4yo.

And having owned a range of seats I really preferred the extra features on the 'nicer' seats for every day use.

Would it be worth borrowing the Boulevard from your mom and trying him RF in that in your car to make sure he likes it?

The Britax seats (Boulevard, Marathon, Roundabout) do travel well too -- they're not the lightest on the market but at around 19 lbs they're really not bad. They're the lightest seats we own and we travel with them all the time.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the Sureride either. But wanted to throw the option out there, since you already have the Boulevard.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Another thing to consider is that the SureRide has the highest harness height of all the seats you listed, except maybe the Pioneer, at 19". Even though it's a convertible and doesn't convert to a booster, it's still has the potential to keep him in a harness for a very long time.

I personally wouldn't worry about turning him back rf unless he really wants to. He's going to be 4 in 4 months, he's past that danger zone where minor crashes will do harm to him if he's forward-facing unless he has an underlying medical condition.

So, look for a seat for him which has the features that will make it easy to install and use. I like the idea of borrowing the BV to see if he likes rf.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC