please check my GN graco nautilus install PICS - beginer

amandav

I am not too knowlegdable on car seats, and install. I think I have this right. not 100% sure though. she (Veronica) is 40lbs, so we cannot use the latch on my 04 honda odyssey , it is belted in, and the belt is locked via the click tight feature on the belt.
If you need more pics no problem.
AND I did order one of those munchkin seat protectors when I ordered the GN, but saw on another post those arnt officially approved, so I plan on returning it.
My youngest DD is already in a GN, I need to get rid of the munchkin seat protector, and then post pics of that one because she is still small enough we can "latch" the seat.
lol at Val posing with her big sis :p
you can kinda see the harness slits above shoulder
P7150020.jpg

P7150021.jpg

P7150023.jpg

this last pic you can kinda see where the harness straps come out.
P7150024.jpg

ADS

TerisBoys

Can the headrest come down one click? If she's on the second to top harness slot, there should be one position lower that doesn't cover those slots.

I'll let the techs chime in on the rest of the install - they may want to see a shot from the buckle side too.

Laurette

The install looks good from what I can see. It is hard to tell because her hair covers much of it, but I do think the headrest can come down one click. The red guides should be just above her sholders/where the straps go into the CR. Does the Carseat move more than one inch from side to side? Do you have the top tether attached? The seatbelt is not twisted right?

scoutingbear

Just wanted to add that when a child is barely reaching the next harness height up (but enough that they are just over the lower one), the headrest is incredibly high. It gets getter as they grow to where the headrest doesn't look crazy tall, then you move the harness (and headrest) again! For A (top slots), when we use it as a booster, I actually have to move the headrest down.

Agree w/ the headrest needing to be moved down. The manual states the red belt guides should be level w/ the shoulders/straps. You can see that the red guides are at her ears because they are at the headphones she's wearing.

amandav

ok, got the head part snapped down to level. I am having issues with the seat moving side-side. I am using the belt, and pulling with all my might, its not really helping.
when I use the latch with DD #2 (32lbs has time to stay on LATCH) GN it is very snug, with the belt on DD #1 (weight 40lbs too heavy for LATCH) GN it seems too movable.
I put them in my moms 04 escalade when they stayed with her sat -sun, and installed both within 10-15 min, and they didnt budge and the seats tightened so easily. in my 04 odyssey it took me like 20 min and I am still not happy with how my older DDs is installed.
I WILL post pics, new ones tomorrow thanks!
and what of the bottom of the seat, should it touch at the bottom? (in the next to the last pic, bottom right)

Evolily

A few questions...

How does your belt lock?
Have you tried installing it without the recline?
How are you checking for movement?

swtgi1982

Honestly from your signature pics it looks like the headrest maybe able to go down one notch on your younger child seat too.

Also we had the sliding problem too. The only way I could get mine in was with the recline foot all the way up with no recline and then it would not budge.

BeachMama86

Yes, what kind of belts do you have? Does it lock at the retractor, at the buckle, or not at all?

You ceck it by:

Retractor - pull the shoulder belt all the way out, and feed it back in. If you hear it click, it locks at the retractor.

Buckle a seatbelt, and see if you can loosen the lap portion when it's buckled. If not, it locks at the buckle.

And, if it does neither of these, you need a locking clip.

Are you using the top tether? Very important, tho not required.

Annnddd .... I would highly suggest that you have your seat checked by a technician.

U

Unregistered1

I noticed you said you moved the head rest down per suggestions here. Do the straps still come out just below the headrest or is the headrest overlapping the slots where the straps come out? The straps must come out the first slots below the head rest and must still be above the child's shoulders in this position, so as long as that's how it is now, you're good in that area.

The other posters gave you good advice as to finding out how your seat belt locks, and I'd guess that is probably why you're having success with the LATCHed seat and not the seat belted seat. Once you figure that out, I bet we'll be able to help you get it in nice and tight. I too, would look for a tech in your area. In one of the forums here there is a pinned thread with technicians from this board in each state. These are people who are very updated and enthusiastic about what they do - I would encourage you to see one of them.

swtgi1982

Yes, what kind of belts do you have? Does it lock at the retractor, at the buckle, or not at all?

In her first post on here she states "the belt is locked via the click tight feature on the belt" in which I believe she is referring to the locking retractor, just did not use those exact words. Maybe I am wrong.

amandav

Where are you pulling from?
when testing the seat I am moving the seat side to side using the arm rest.
if you are talking about the seat belt, I am pulling from the top where it goes into the "wall" and around the part where it buckles.

The gap is from the recline feature being used, if it is taken off then the gap goes away.
I dont think the recline was "on", but on reinstall I made sure it was down and there still seems to be a gap, even pushing in from front with my knee and my weight.
Honestly from your signature pics it looks like the headrest maybe able to go down one notch on your younger child seat too.

Also we had the sliding problem too. The only way I could get mine in was with the recline foot all the way up with no recline and then it would not budge.
I looked at Val's seat and it was too high, a fellow car-seater friend pulled it up thinking it needed to be higher, but I put it down a notch, and it looks better.
and I am pretty sure the recline is not "on" down, whatever you call it

You ceck it by:

Retractor - pull the shoulder belt all the way out, and feed it back in. If you hear it click, it locks at the retractor.

Buckle a seatbelt, and see if you can loosen the lap portion when it's buckled. If not, it locks at the buckle.

And, if it does neither of these, you need a locking clip.

Are you using the top tether? Very important, tho not required.

Annnddd .... I would highly suggest that you have your seat checked by a technician.
It locks at the retractor, I just cant get it to retract one more "click" which I think would make it perfect, but I'm no tech. I got it tight in my moms 04 Escalade no prob with her retractor

I noticed you said you moved the head rest down per suggestions here. Do the straps still come out just below the headrest or is the headrest overlapping the slots where the straps come out? The straps must come out the first slots below the head rest and must still be above the child's shoulders in this position, so as long as that's how it is now, you're good in that area.

The other posters gave you good advice as to finding out how your seat belt locks, and I'd guess that is probably why you're having success with the LATCHed seat and not the seat belted seat. Once you figure that out, I bet we'll be able to help you get it in nice and tight. I too, would look for a tech in your area. In one of the forums here there is a pinned thread with technicians from this board in each state. These are people who are very updated and enthusiastic about what they do - I would encourage you to see one of them.
I'll really have to look up that tech thread ASAP!
and the straps still come out below the headrest. the straps are not covered by the headrest on eaither seat now after each being moved down one click

12 more pics.. Reinstall pics ( I call them reinstall because I moved them to my moms car and had to reinstall back into my van since my original pics)

starting in the normal position, pics of the seatbelt..
carseat001ronkseatbelt1.jpg

carseat002ronkseatbelt2.jpg

carseat017ronkseatbelt3.jpg

and now the seat movement.. 1st pic I am pulling it (kinda hard) towards me with the armrest
carseat008ronkmove1.jpg

2nd pic pushing it kinda hard!
carseat009ronkmove2.jpg

3rd pic pushing even more
carseat010ronkmove3.jpg

the "gap, during me moving the seat
carseat011ronkmovegap.jpg

headrest clicked down pic. does not cover straps.
carseat003ronk.jpg

pic - Veronica
carseat004ronk.jpg

a couple pics of Valerie and her seat..
LATCH and small "gap"?
carseat012val.jpg

Vals head rest down one click does not cover strap. shoulders do not go over strap either.
carseat014val.jpg

pic - Valerie
carseat016val.jpg

Evolily

Try unbuckling, let it "click" back one more, and then rebuckle. If you absolutely can't get it tight then you can use a locking clip.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Also, when you go to tighten the seat down, pull the cover off the car seat, near the latch plate of the car, then pull the shoulder belt, from the latch plate side, not the wall side, like before. Much easier!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC