Question Photo: 10 yrs ready for seat belt only?

ChristusG

My oldest is about to turn 10. She's a tall girl, mature, about 67 pounds, and will sit correctly in a seat belt. She's currently in a high back Parkway SGL. I took these photos in the driveway so I could ask you guys what you think. Do you think she's ready to come out of the booster? If she meets all the criteria for safely sitting in a regular seat, is there any added safety to keeping her in the Parkway? I'm in no rush to move her....just noticed she's getting tall in that Parkway (but hasn't outgrown it yet).

image-2304361191.jpg

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The lap belt looks too high (on the belly rather than across the thighs). A cheapy backless booster would do the trick if she outgrows the Parkway :)

Keeanh

I agree, she needs a backless to lift her hips up. If she still fits in the Parkway, that's great. But I would still recommend grabbing a backless for carpooling, grandma's car, etc. which you can then use full-time if she does outgrow the Parkway. One of the most highly recommended ones is the Literider, which is only $13 at Walmart.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter just turned 10 and still has the lap belt too high as well. :) About half of kids at age 10 don't quite fit the belt yet. By 12 most do.

I let my daughter choose a new backless booster to celebrate double digits, and because her booster was getting shallow for her (she chose Hello Kitty :rolleyes: ) and she's very happy with it.

If she's happy in the Parkway, she can stay in that (with or without the back), or there are other options- for kids who almost fit the belt, the Incognito is another one that seems really comfy for many older kids, it's got deep leg support and really designed for those older kids.

thepote

My 10yo (4'7", 72lbs) fits the seatbelt like that in my van so he definitely still needs a booster there. He uses the Incognito. He doesn't need a booster in my husband's car because the female buckle stalk is so low (almost flush with the seat) that the lap belt is down on his thighs. At this age it depends on the vehicle and build of the kid. Some of his same-age friends have 20lbs and 4" on him and fit fine in the seatbelt.

ChristusG

I'm glad I asked! Thanks everyone! I just thought that's how it's supposed to fit. In every vehicle I've ever had, the belt goes across my lower belly, not my thighs. I'm of average build too. Guess there's nothing to be done for adults lol. She seems so big in the Parkway.... And she seems quite awkward in it when it is backless. Maybe we'll look into a different booster then :)

MommyShannon

Here is a good reference for fit. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/child-boosters
Adults' hip bones are bigger and more developed though some cars do provide a bad fit in general. You want the belt to catch on the hip bones in an accident and not soft belly. What makes her seem awkward in the Parkway backless? My kids also like the Harmony Literider (I think it's renamed the youth booster). My 8.75 year old DD uses one daily right now and a Parkway with back when she might want to sleep on longer trips.

D&L's-mommy

I would recommend the incognito or graco connext, my ds is turning 10 this month, hes getting smooshed in most traditional backless boosters so he uses an incognito in dhs truck. in my car the belt fit with the incognito isnt that great so he uses a graco connext, and he likes it, much more room than other boosters. he 4'7" 85lbs

sunnydayz

Here's a link to the Incognito. It comes in different colors to match your vehicle interior. My 9 year old uses one and he is 58" and 83lbs.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FLXBHIU?pc_redir=1396900917&robot_redir=1"]Safety 1st Incognito Kid Positioning Seat, Black:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC