Question Personal experience with the Frontier XT

LittlePeanut

I am thinking about returning the Maestro I bought a couple weeks ago and buying the Frontier XT instead. I'd like some input from those who have the XT or both...

The reason the Maestro is being returned is that I'm just not 100% pleased with it. For $100 it's a decent budget seat but it just feels cheap. I also don't care for the way the straps cut into DS's neck and without harness pads to help, it seems like it could become uncomfortable over a longer period. I think with DS1's size, it will last him a good couple of years and then it could be used for DS2 but it certainly won't have the lifespan of the XT since it's only good for 6 years.

What I like about the XT is that it's a good, solid seat and the harness straps feel like they are unlikely to twist. We've been very satisfied with our original MA. I LOVE the cowmoo (LOVE LOVE LOVE) which seems like the wrong reason to buy a seat though. I like that it can be attached with the UAS in booster mode and that it has a 9 year lifespan (from DOM) on the entire seat. What I'm unsure about is the same with the Maestro, the straps seem awfully close together. They actually buckle a bit against his neck instead of laying flat on his shoulders. Do others find the same? He has a rather skinny neck and I'm trying to imagine DS2 in it harnessed (once DS1 outgrows it) when he's a bulkier child. DS1 does not NEED the Frontier, it's a big seat for him as he's a runt but DS2 could certainly use it down the road.

Does anyone think the new version of the XT with those ugly (IMO) side impact things is any better or worth the extra moolah? I'm sad that their new seats (both the XT and the PW do not come in cowmoo). I'd love to buy a cowmoo PW SGL in the future for DS1.

Help! Any and all input is welcome!!

ADS

mam521

I personally feel the side impact cushions are a marketing gimmick just like the Advocate. Sure, there may be some advantage to them if there is a passenger beside the seat, but good luck fitting a passenger if you have another seat in the same row. As with most harnessed boosters, Frontier is wide enough. Call me a cynic and don't get me wrong I love my current Britax seats, but they are a company with an extensive marketing budget!

We don't have any issues with DD and the straps. As long as the harness covers are positioned properly, she has no complaints. The XT's definitely have improved straps that don't twist or want to twist through the buckle tongues like the first gens did.

I like my Frontier...I will eventually move DD into a hbb and pass Frontier down to DS and like your LO, my DD isn't huge. I just know I'll get my $300 and 9 years out of it because its a seat I like. If you like it and aren't keen on Maestro, go for Frontier :)

Last edited:

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I :love: :love: :love: my FRXT and wouldnt trade it for anything. My kids who use it are DD 6yo, 60lbs and 48 inches and once in a blue moon my DS 4.5yo, 32lbs and 37 inches.

canadiangie

I've been surprisingly happy with my Frontmoo XT. Dd likes it and does not ever complain. She's super petite but doesn't swim in it, and no head flop which is nice. As long as the harness covers are positioned, the straps do not cut into her neck. :)

tam_shops

I had the first generation Frontier and didn't like how the straps twisted in the buckles and pulled kind of funny. Or those popping out cup holders, but they've fixed all that...Even at that, I'd call the Frontier an everyday all the time & long trip seat.

Our Maestro is our d/c seat. Great for short distances b/c it doesn't have a lot of padding. It feels so flexible/flimsy to me. I questioned that before I bought it and was told there are pro's and con's to it in an accident. I'm fine w/ it for d/c but wouldn't use it for my everyday seat. I've heard complaints about the straps, my guy has never complained, but I did check him last time to see what everyone was talking about and can see how that would be uncomfortable on a long trip and/or regular basis. Really the only draw back to the seat.

Love my MA except the RF weight limit and my RN except the install. So that gives you an idea about how picky I am! LOL

BTW it's on sale right now:
http://www.snugglebugz.ca/frontier-xt-colours.html

$240, so *only* $140 more than the Maestro w/ a longer lifespan, well worth it in my opinion. I'm holding out for an Onyx one at TRU and hoping they have better colour selection next sale and the next sale happens not too late! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had the first generation Frontier and didn't like how the straps twisted in the buckles and pulled kind of funny. Or those popping out cup holders, but they've fixed all that...Even at that, I'd call the Frontier an everyday all the time & long trip seat.

Our Maestro is our d/c seat. Great for short distances b/c it doesn't have a lot of padding. It feels so flexible/flimsy to me. I questioned that before I bought it and was told there are pro's and con's to it in an accident. I'm fine w/ it for d/c but wouldn't use it for my everyday seat. I've heard complaints about the straps, my guy has never complained, but I did check him last time to see what everyone was talking about and can see how that would be uncomfortable on a long trip and/or regular basis. Really the only draw back to the seat.

Love my MA except the RF weight limit and my RN except the install. So that gives you an idea about how picky I am! LOL

BTW it's on sale right now:
http://www.snugglebugz.ca/frontier-xt-colours.html

$240, so *only* $140 more than the Maestro w/ a longer lifespan, well worth it in my opinion. I'm holding out for an Onyx one at TRU and hoping they have better colour selection next sale and the next sale happens not too late! LOL

tam

Is Onyx the color that's replacing rushmore? (Sorry if I've missed it in one of the threads.) If it hasn't been confirmed, I'd expect rushmore to come back in. They don't tend to carry much in the way of choice of color when it comes to the Frontier XT...

LittlePeanut

That's the way I feel too. I knew the FNXT was on sale and that's why I've been contemplating it.

DS2 has about a year or so of growth RF in the MR so I think I'll grab another of those at BRU for $131 and I know it installs okay FF (not terribly reclined) in my vehicles. My goal is 3 years min for RF but would love to see him get to 4 years.

Then DS1 can have his RNXT FF and the Frontier XT. I would like him harnessed until 6 and 40 lbs which is only another 5 months away but he can stay that way until another carseat juggle is required ;)

We fly about 3-4 times a year and while I was factoring that into my choices, I'm not sure it's often enough to count. We'll just make it work with the seats we do have (likely a MR and the RNXT). It'll be a bit more tricky than the Scenera was but we'll manage.

Oh my, I think I'm buying a FNXT! :eek: (Oh, and another MR :p)

LittlePeanut

For future reference, does anyone know if the PWSG covers fit the PWSGL?

I'm also trying to decide where to ship the darn thing. It says, "* This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be special ordered." So it's not arriving in the next couple days. I need to email them to get a timeline. That said, if I have it shipped to my Mom's (assuming it would get to her by the 17th, then I can save $24 in tax - 5% GST only vs 15% HST). Hmmmm. Decisions decisions!

LittlePeanut

Well I did it!! I bought the cowmoo XT (on b/o). Oh my!! I do believe that it is the most expensive seat I have owned to date. If it lasts me 9 years, it only works out to $30/year. That, I can live with :D

Now I just need to wait for the MR to arrive for boy #2 and I'll be through carseat shopping for a while :)

Thanks for all your help and insight! Still wondering about the SG/SGL covers question in the post above, if anyone knows.

hipmaman

Coming late into the discussion, but my dd has been in the FNXT Cowmoo for about 3-6 mos since coming out of rf in a RNXT and original MA and we have been happy with it. She loves her 'cowseat' :lol:

I don't think the spacing between harness straps are less, but it would be an interesting thing to check. I have the original FN, RNXT, original MA and a few other seats that I might haul out of the garage and compare one of these days :)

snowbird25ca

Is Onyx the color that's replacing rushmore? (Sorry if I've missed it in one of the threads.) If it hasn't been confirmed, I'd expect rushmore to come back in. They don't tend to carry much in the way of choice of color when it comes to the Frontier XT...

Thought I'd answer my own question - the new 2012 is in and it's the Rushmore color. They look identical, only noticeable difference is change in size of instruction manual and a different product #.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC