Peg Convertible with ALR belts RF needs a locking clip?

geekKT

I bought a brand new Peg convertible this week in the Aquamarine color for DD. I love it; it will work well for us and it frees up my TFP as a spare.

I was going through the manual though and found this bit about using a locking clip which I thought I'd share. Looking at other examples of manuals, I had not seen this wording before and it was unexpected.

For reference, I've got an 06 Kia Sedona and the DOM of my seat is 2/7/2014. A locking clip is supplied. I generally prefer a seatbelt install so I looked that up first. I wanted to verify with techs that based on my interpretation of this, I am supposed to always use a locking clip RF with my seatbelts - which I believe are the ALR type, sliding latchplate. I used the UAS install for now, and it was cake. :)

I actually called Peg too, and got a half answer about keeping the seat from tipping after he put me on hold a few times.

Attachments

• IMGP6187.jpg
    IMGP6187.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP6188.jpg
    IMGP6188.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 38
ADS

bbartlettnfld

Seems to me that your interpretation is correct, when using the Peg RF with the vehicle seat belt you must use the locking clip and leave the vehicle seat belt in ELR mode.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'll have to check my manuals. Obviously Peg has changed instructions at some point as the seats didn't use to come with a locking clip. I have one that didn't, and one that did.

My seat that came with a locking clip did not come with manual but Peg sent me the (presumably) current Canadian version. I had them send me two since my original manual had the outdated info on when to use crotch strap positions and infant insert. So I've tossed my original manual but I'm pretty sure I have a scanned version somewhere on my computer.

geekKT

Thanks techno. I think it was an old thread of yours where I saw different wording hence my confused face when I read my manual.

When I was on the phone and gave a page number, he put me on hold and came back mumbling something about the 2013 manual so I'm assuming the change is fairly recent. I looked quickly for a date or version on mine but didn't see one. I can look again.

I don't really mind, but if the reason for the use of the locking clip is tipping alone I would have preferred an either/or instead of a requirement. :). Not a huge deal but I thought maybe techs would appreciate the heads up that apparently the rules have changed.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My new manual has the same wording yours has. So I have 2 seats with manuals that say that, and one that has no locking clip. :p

And while I was double checking my original seat for a locking clip, in case they had it hidden somewhere else, the stupid tether storage bust. The plastic pin that lets the lid rotate open and keeps the storage container connected to the seat, snapped off. Nice. I've never opened the thing before. I had to take the entire plastic container off so now my tether is hanging there exposed.

geekKT

Thank you for checking, Techno! I looked at my manual again and inside the first page at the bottom it does say copyright 2013.

And while I was double checking my original seat for a locking clip, in case they had it hidden somewhere else, the stupid tether storage bust.

Ugh. Lovely. Guess I'll be careful if I ever open that.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thank you for checking, Techno! I looked at my manual again and inside the first page at the bottom it does say copyright 2013.

Forgot to say, my manuals have all had a version number on the front cover. It's sort of on the right side closer to the top IIRC.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
So I just got off the phone with customer service at Peg Canada and they told me if you have an ALR belt you can just lock the belt, no locking clip. I pointed out the manual and he consulted the tech on staff who said ELR only-use locking clip, ALR you don't use locking clip. I think I will email to clarify again but this is what I was told today when I called.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So I just got off the phone with customer service at Peg Canada and they told me if you have an ALR belt you can just lock the belt, no locking clip. I pointed out the manual and he consulted the tech on staff who said ELR only-use locking clip, ALR you don't use locking clip. I think I will email to clarify again but this is what I was told today when I called.

Huh. Isn't that exactly not what the pic of the manual upthread says?

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Huh. Isn't that exactly not what the pic of the manual upthread says?

Exactly. I'm feeling not very trusting and I think I'd rather have it in writing. I did read elsewhere today that someone on the US called asking the same question and was told the same as me on the phone.

geekKT

Thanks for the update. I sort of suspected that at some point, someone would be told differently than I was. :) I believe the CS rep I talked to put me on hold and talked to a tech, also, but I'm not 100% sure.

I hope you do get it via email and would love to see it in writing. I used UAS partly because it was super easy and partly to skirt the issue for now as I knew it would come back up someday. :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have also verified with our contact at Peg that if you have a locking retractor, you don't need to use a locking clip. Just lock the retractor when installing the carseat. The last version of the manual did not have this instruction in it and in their roundabout way, they were trying to make it easier on the parent to avoid a tipping seat. :shrug-shoulders:

These instructions will be changing (again) in the next version of the manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC