Question Part of Buckle in Path of Snugride 35 LX

trumpcutie01

FTM with a first time post. This car seat thing is really starting to stress me out. I just can't seem to get anything to fit.

First, let me start by saying that I have had a hard time trying to find a seat to fit securely in the middle of our 2010 Subaru Outback. Out of 5 I tested, only the Snugride fit securely. However, I'm now worried that too much of the buckle is in the belt path. I am hoping someone can help me.

http://snugrideseatinstall.shutterfly.com/pictures

I am really, really hoping this works. I had to make up a website with the hopes I can show everyone the pictures.

I appreciate any advise on this or another seat that would work in the middle of a Subaru. Thanks!!

ADS

canadiangie

Does the base and lock-off ever look different compared to what I'm used to!

That's a Snugride 35 base?

How many times did you twist the buckle stalk? Up to 3 full rotations is fine...

trumpcutie01

It is a Snugride Click Connect 35 LX base. I think the LX's are the only Snugrides with lock offs besides the CC40.

The stalk is rotated 2 times. It is so tight, I cannot physically get it twisted even half a turn more.

AK Dad

I can see why you're concerned, but I think it looks OK the way it is. Do the Graco or Subaru manuals say that buckle position is not allowed? If they don't expressly forbid the latchplate ending up in that location I'd go ahead and stick with it.

Other option for you would be maybe to look into a Combi Shuttle and install without the base. I know that removes a lot of the convenience of the infant carrier, but since it has the Anti-rebound bar built into the carrier it installs pretty nicely minus the base. You could also just go one step further and skip the infant carrier all together and do something like the Chicco NextFit - it's much taller, so you likely wouldn't have the problem with buckle stalk length, and it's got nice built-in lockoffs and works well for infants.

AK Dad

Another quick thought - does the center belt latchplate work with the outboard receiver? I know some companies make them incompatible on purpose, but based on your picture that outboard receiver is in a great spot. (again, as long as the Subie manual doesn't forbid it)

trumpcutie01

Another quick thought - does the center belt latchplate work with the outboard receiver? I know some companies make them incompatible on purpose, but based on your picture that outboard receiver is in a great spot. (again, as long as the Subie manual doesn't forbid it)

I wanted to use that outboard receiver! I tried that when I was trying to get the Chaperone (the infant seat I really wanted) to fit snug. They aren't compatible though.

trumpcutie01

I can see why you're concerned, but I think it looks OK the way it is. Do the Graco or Subaru manuals say that buckle position is not allowed? If they don't expressly forbid the latchplate ending up in that location I'd go ahead and stick with it.

I have not found anywhere in either manual that indicates this is not allowed.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I don't think it's bad or wrong the way it is now but I agree with the others that you should try increasing the amount of recline on the base if you can do that and not be in over-reclined territory. Ideally, for a newborn, you want the max recline allowed by the indicator. You should be able to adjust it until you see just a sliver of orange peeking out at the edge of the window. Does your angle indicator look like this: http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/image6.jpg

trumpcutie01

I don't think it's bad or wrong the way it is now but I agree with the others that you should try increasing the amount of recline on the base if you can do that and not be in over-reclined territory. Ideally, for a newborn, you want the max recline allowed by the indicator. You should be able to adjust it until you see just a sliver of orange peeking out at the edge of the window. Does your angle indicator look like this: http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/image6.jpg

My indicator is totally light blue. However, I think a pool noodle would raise it way too much. The seat seems to be pretty level. When I played around with a towel trying to get a good install with the Chaperone, putting anything under it made it way too reclined. I will try when I get off work though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
With regards to trying a towel or noodle... you want to put the foot all the way back up in the seat and use the towel instead. For some reason, a towel or noodle somehow sometimes just works way better than a hard slick plastic foot (I haven't tried with this seat in particular, just remembering lots of old snugrides and how one little dollar store pool noodle would work way better).
And the buckles in the seat don't look concerning to me. They aren't bending hard on an edge (like, to come undone), nor are they locking latchplates (which loosen when tilted).

Anyway, congratulations on your new little one, and welcome to the board!
:)

trumpcutie01

With regards to trying a towel or noodle... you want to put the foot all the way back up in the seat and use the towel instead.......QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice and your thoughts on how it is currently. The foot is actually all the way back up in the seat. I didn't have to raise it to get the seat level. Actually, I didn't have to raise it on any of the seats I tried. That's why I'm skeptical that a towel or noodle won't throw it out of proper recline. I will still try it though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC