Outgrowing Roundabout by height RF but on lowest slots?

Relish

Ds is 18mo, 22lbs and just 30in. He is rf in a Britax Roundabout and still on the bottom harness slots. Depending on his diaper he is clearly 1/4 inch or more below the slot. Based on harness height I was thinking he'd make it well into age 3 before outgrowing this seat.

Then I noticed Ds' head is getting close to 1 inch below the top of the seat (although I know with my Britax he can be even with rf-ing). He doesn't have a giraffe neck or a big head.

Does this sound possible? Have you ever heard of this before?

I'd love some opinions because if this seat isn't going to last a long while I'd like to buy an FPSVD now before they're all gone. Although a few threads I read elsewhere on the board make it sound like there may be one or more new 65lb seats on the horizon (TrueFit?).

I can try to post pictures later but we don't have a digital camera and I'm not sure I can get Dh's phone to take good enough pics. I know I'm asking a lot since you can't see him but have you ever heard of outgrowing a seat this way?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Make sure you're checking his torso height against the slots in the shell. The cover can shift and be an inaccurate gauge. However, it is absolutely possible to outgrow it rf by age 2. The RA has a relatively short shell. My ds outgrew it rf at around 33 inches and just under 2.5 years (but he's a shorty). If the FPSVD is in your budget, it's a great option. The Evenflo Triumph Advance is another good choice (and it rf to 35 lbs).

chelle80

I agree with double checking the slots in the actual shell. I also know it is possible for him to almost to tall for it RF. Colton is only 15m and he only has about 1" to the top of the RA, not sure what slots he would be on though, i just sat him in it at Target to see if he would fit.

diaperjoys

We had a similar experience recently. I was shocked to notice that my son's head was at least even with the top of the shell, and I thought the seat would last him a very long time still. He was 18 months! Then we did more comparing, and had him stand next to his brother...several inches shorter, then had the brothers sit, and they were the same height in the sitting position. So, my little man is average height, but has a super long torso. The roundabout just isn't a good seat for him. By the time he's ready to forward face, he'll already be on or over the top slots in the roundabout. ( I know, because he has the same torso height as his 3yo brother, who is close to outgrowing the roundabout.) Solution? We're moving everyone up a seat. Got a Regent for the oldest, passing down a Marathon so the baby can continue to rf.

bbygrl99

I am in the same position you are in, my daughter is 13mos however she is the average size of an 18mo old, and she is about 1-2" from the top shell of her RF RA. I am starting to think about other options so I don't have to FF her this early!!! I knew the RA was not going to last forever but darn she is only 13mos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is 31" 25lbs and I think possibly a 14" torso

Last edited:

amy919

I am in the exact same boat. And I checked and double checked and even pulled the seat out, took off the cover and tried her in just the shell;). She's definitely on the lowest slots! She's 21 months, 23 pounds and won't let me measure her torso:rolleyes:.

I know that the manual says she can stay RF until her head is even with the top of the shell, but I'm not sure I'm personally comfortable with that. I'll be passing Kaylie's MA to Tea as soon as I come up with the money and figure out what do about Kaylie. Damn those Regent issues! I thought I had it all figured out:mad:.

Zabs

thats what happened with my son and his SS1. He outgrew it by height at around 10 mos. He was right at 31" at his 9 mo appt -- yes he's tall -- he had more height available for his shoulders, but his melon head was too tall for the top of the seat so I had to move him up to a FPSVD (which I love, btw). I was so sad to have to take him out of his SS1!!!

Relish

Thank you everyone for responding! I guess I imagined all those kids out growing the seat early were somehow taller than mine. :rolleyes: You know, like already rf-ing on the top slots or something.

I knew the RA doesn't usually last nearly as long, but when we tried the MA/DC/BV he was swimming in those seats. I feel fine using the RA until he head is near/at the top so I guess we'll just hope that he makes it another year or two before topping out. I'm thinking the next seat will be a Radian so I'd prefer to get all our RF-ing done in the Roundabout.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC