opinions/suggestions for car seat

pivotalrex

I've been searching on this site for some time. Just registered tonight since I'm officially losing it when it comes to researching seats...

My son is 10.5 months, 18.5 lbs, 29 inches.

I purchased the Recaro performance ride after making sure it would fit in our Toyota Camry. It arrived today. I spent about 45 mins trying to get this seat tight with the latch and the pool noodle for leveling it out. No such luck. It's going back.

Here's the list and my concerns with each but am open to suggestion, just not the Radian. I know it's a favorite here but I'm not fond of it.
I would like to have him rear facing as long as possible and know this varies by child.

Not concerned with how much space it takes up since I drop off and pick him up from daycare during the week and it's usually just the two of us in the camry. We have an suv that we use for the family car.

Britax Advocate: concerned about the hugs straps and the fact that I just recently read some complaints about children getting the straps loose. (not sure if this is a single user's issue or the start of something bigger).

Chicco Nextfit: My son is on the hot side, worried that he will sweat in this seat, otherwise seems like one of the better options.

Peg Perego: Not too many ppl seem to have this seat, wondering why. And I'm aware it and the Britax seem to only last rear facing about 2yrs.

Safety First Complete Air: again doesn't seem too popular. Not sure of any issues/problems with this one.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks

ADS

aept

If there was one more convertible I could try, it would be a true fit. I've just always wanted to try one and it sounds like it would fit the bill well for you. It does only go to 35lbs RF but your son is not very heavy for his age so I think it would be fine.
I was hoping to have an excuse to buy one but we are all set with three radians and only one kid who is small enough to RF.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

Britax-I must have missed the loosening issue so i would consider that an isolated issue. They are very popular seats so an issue would be well known. Britax also has great customer service so any problem would be addressed. What is your concern with HUGS? They don't bother my kids at all but are optional while rf. They fit rf to a 3t or 4t shirt. They just aren't recommended for above average height kids. I love ours for my small girls.
Peg-Seems very, very well liked but its expensive and the same height as the Britax seats. Your son isn't huge so I think it'd be a great option.

Complete Air-There have been various issues over the years with Dorel that have left some people avoiding all their seats. I like the CA, but the older ones had a "level to ground" line that made the seat take up a ridiculous amount of room front to back. New ones have a 2nd line that allows a more upright install for older kids. It also has high bottom slots so it doesn't fit a lot of babies until 6 months or later. Another Dorel seat that's nice and cushy is the Pria.

I agree with the True Fit recommendation too. We really like our Premier version and I like the look of the new SI version with a different headrest.

1mommy

I really like my si true fit premier for my skinny but tall boy. It has a no re-thread harness which is nice and I really like the redesigned headrest simply because now when my son sleeps in the car his head can rest on the side of the seat instead of on his shoulder. It does not need noodles which I love and is pretty simple to install. I also like that you can take off the headrest and use it without it if you son will fit under the red line.

MommyShannon

The MyRide is popular too. Graco had tough buckles for a bit but just switched to nicer ones.
I forgot to mention, the CA (and SureRide and Pria) has a 40" rf limit. So even though its a tall seat, taller kids outgrow it sooner than others. Again, for average height kids they will be about 4 years old before they hit that limit. It's just a restricting factor for tall kids.

jess71903

Ambassador
I just wanted to mention this, since you said you couldn't get the P.Ride in with LATCH: LATCH is not a safer way to install. It's just supposed to be easier (but it isn't always). Especially with the new LATCH restrictions coming out in 2014, you will almost certainly have to install with the seat belt as some point in your child's car seat life. If you otherwise like the Performance Ride (and don't think the lack of leg room will get to you later) then try it with the seat belt. Also, make sure you are pulling back the cover and pulling from inside the seat. It will give you a better angle to get it tighter. Even if you go with a new seat, I believe it's very important to know how to install a seat with the seat belt. You never know when it might be necessary.

pivotalrex

Thanks for the responses.

@MommyShannon: appreciate the info on complete air. Also good to know Britax has good customer service.

@jess71903: thanks for suggesting the seatbelt. Even though I didn't post it I actually did use the seatbelt. Overall I don't think the Recaro is a good fit for us. It will be fine in one vehicle but we're going to be switching it out for weekend use and while rear facing I would like my wife to have the option to use latch, with this seat it's not possible, at least with our cars.

I'll be taking another look at Peg Perego, Britax and the evenflo and truefit this weekend. Again, thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully we'll have a new seat by the end of the weekend.

MommyShannon

If you will be switching it around often, I'd go for the Britax over the TrueFit. I like both, but the Britax's LATCH install is so easy for popping in and out of cars. The True Fit isn't hard just not as easy and the seat is bigger and more awkward. I have both in our van and I will always move the Britax first if I need to free up a spot. I haven't tried the SureRide or Peg to compare, but Britax is the leader for ease of use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC