Opinions on Safety 1st AOE @ Costco?

C

challberg

So, my MIL told me about the Safety 1st AOE that is currently selling for around $85 at Costco. She wants to buy it for her Ford F150 to put DD in when she keeps her two days a week. I feel very snobbish saying this, but I can't help wondering how good of a seat it really is compared to the Britax Roundabout 55 I have in my car and the Evenflo Symphony 65 my husband has in his car. I'm afraid of offending her by telling her I'd rather buy a seat for her and maybe I am being silly anyway. Any opinions? :scratcheshead:

If it helps, DD is 17 months and quite petite at 21 pounds, so I want to keep her RF'ing quite a bit longer.

ADS

Phineasmama

That seat is *okay* but it has it's issues. One of which is that it makes a terrible booster, but it sounds like you're a long way away from that. It definitely is not a "do it all" seat like they advertise it to be.

For a backup seat for grandma's car you should have her look at the Cosco Scenera, especially for a petite child :) The rear facing weight limit is 40 lbs instead of 35 like the AOE seat.
You can get it at Wal Mart, it runs about $40

Girly
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Car-Seat-Clementine/16932754

Boyish/gender neutral
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Broadway-Dots-Collection-Baby-Gear-Bundle/20668792

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The AOE has its limitations, but if she decides to get it, rest assured that it has passed the same tests as the Britax and Evenflo seats. It is safe as long as it is being used properly. A 21# 17mo should have a good long time in it RFing.

Eresh

We had an aoe for DS1 a while back. It's a decent enough seat for what it is but with the 3-in1 marketing people think it should do more. It has a short harness so it may not get you to booster age even with a shorter child. That was our experience at least.

I would second buying a scenera now for $40 and maestro for $80 when the scenera is outgrown and it's time to FF.

Kaitsmom

I think the AOE is one of the most disliked seats on car seat boards. I have never sworn so much in my life as I have trying to instal my nieces AOE rfing, and took off half the skin on my knuckles. I would buy a Scenera or APT over an AOE any day.

I had a Britax Marathon in my car and 3 Sceneras as back up seats in everyone elses cars and never was concerned about them not being as good. All seats pass the same testing and are equally safe.

soph's mom

I'll be honest... I have the Eddie Bauer version of the AOE and I really don't have any complaints as a convertible. It doesn't fit newborns well and it's not a good booster but for the middle years it works well. Seems comfy enough and it's a no rethread harness. I have had good luck installing it rf in a 1998 Jeep grand cherokee, 1995 GMC Sierra, and a 1998 Volvo v70 wagon with no problems and they were checked to be perfect. I did use a rolled up towel or pool noodle.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The rear facing install of a new AOE with the non removable base is a PITA. It requires a pyramid of noodles and can be extremely frustrating depending on the depth of the back seat.

If they are on board with ERF and width is not a concern, I would recommend a Cosco Apt since it has a taller shell than the Scenera. It does have lower top harness slots than the Scenera so it will not last as long forward facing as it will rear facing but that would not be an issue if they RF to the limits and then get a Maestro.

henrietta

The AOE has its limitations, but if she decides to get it, rest assured that it has passed the same tests as the Britax and Evenflo seats. It is safe as long as it is being used properly. A 21# 17mo should have a good long time in it RFing.

Ditto that! It actually makes a nice rearfacing seat. And at 21 lbs, she's a peanut who isn't likely to outgrow it rearfacing very soon. Technically, it probably has a 36" height limit for rearfacing and a minimum of 34" for forward facing. It will be more difficult to install rearfacing than your Britax or Evenflo, but w/a little help, it will probably work just fine. The harness is easy for a grandma to adjust, and it's easy to get kiddo in and out of. Those are good things!

Never use it as a booster though, as pp'ers have said.

hths

henrietta

cookie123

At least at my Costco, the seat is the one with 40 lbs harness limit. OP, Be sure to read your manual thoroughly and be aware of it's harness slot limitations. Still your dd should be able to rear face a long time in the seat. The top slot may only be used in booster mode in some models. I think someone already stated this.

If your install is good (no more than 1 inch of movement side to side or front to back, checking only at the belt path) and your child fits in the seat then all is well. :)

If you get a seat that has the top harness position disallowed, you'll probably need another harnessed seat to forward face in eventually , most likely. as the top usable position is quite short. The Evenflo Maestro is inexpensive ~$80, and would serve that function well. After that an inexpensive booster at age 6+ and you're set - that is if you still need one for grandma's car at that point!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If it is the 40# AOE, skip it!! It has a very low top slot and you can't use the top setting in harness mode. The 50# and 65# version of the AOE are okay. The AOE can be difficult to install.

What type of truck does she have? Regular cab? Extended cab? or Crew cab?

The symphony can only be used in the bottom 2 settings rf, which won't be a problem if she is petite.

Stelvis

I've only ever seen the 40 lb AOE version at Costco also. It's really awful that Costco stocks this as their only RF car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC