Opinions about 2009 Forester or Mini Clubman?

maryg3542

My husband is considering the 2009 Forester or the new Mini-Clubman for his car. While it will be for his use in commuting, there is always the possibility of the kids using it occasionally. I don't like the size of the Clubman, it is so small there can't be much crumple zone. The Forester rides higher than our old Legacy wagon, it has rear side curtain and side torso bags. Am I correct that they are now testing for out of position safety of SAB and that if a vehicle meets criteria you can put kids in the rear outboard?
Anybody have any comments on these vehicles while we are in the researching stage?
My kids are soon to be 5 and 7, I have been using extended harnessing in my car, a 2005 Ford Freestyle. Their boosters will be Parkways.

ADS

twokidstwodogs

It sounds like you know this, but rear side *curtain* airbags are absolutely safe for child passengers.

As for side torso/side impact bags, most manufacturers who include them in their cars now meet the specification for out-of-position occupants. You can check on specific cars by looking at www.safercar.gov. The 09 Forester isn't listed, of course, but the Tribeca's side torso airbags do meet it. So I think it's safe to assume that the ones on a new Forester would. And yes, if the airbags meet the specifications, it's quite safe to put a child next to them.

Are they really putting rear side torso airbags on the new Forester? That surprises me. They are quite uncommon on anything but European cars. I wonder if this will be a new trend in Japanese cars.

I've owned both a Forester and a Legacy wagon, and have liked them both very much. They have a very different feel to them, though. I know nothing about the Mini-Clubman!

maryg3542

I may be wrong about the rear side torso airbags. Our salesman was very young. But he indicated a compartment (looked like a zipper) on the back of the front seats and said it was the rear side airbag, and cited a separate spot for the side curtain. I'll have to check again!
I have very vage memories from 4 years ago that a car seat technician said it was good I had a Legacy and not a Forester because the forester only had one safe position (rear center) for an infant seat. .. but I know airbags and standards have changed a bit.

Thank you for your input.

twokidstwodogs

I doubt that it really has rear side torso airbags. None of Subaru's promotional materials mention it, and I don't see anything about them on www.cars101.com, which is a great place for all things Subaru.

I'm not sure what that tech could have meant. The Forester has been a very crashworthy car since it was introduced. It has always done very well in all side impact testing, even without side curtain airbags. (Besides, the Legacy just got side curtain airbags for rear passengers in 2005.) And anyway, it's generally easier to install seats in the outboard positions of Subarus.

Edited to add: Bad Subaru! The 09 Forester brochure contains a picture of kids using seatbelts alone, even though they are pretty clearly under the age/size recommendations for it.

Cavegirl

Having totaled an older Buick (police car-sized vehicle) with my Mini Cooper, and driving away with no injury, I would say go for the solid construction of a Mini vehicle. They are built like little tanks. They have ridiculously strong frames and would be nearly impossible to roll over.

I'm most likely buying a Clubman to make things a bit easier on myself, since my second child is due this summer and my first will likely still be rear-facing.

Besides, the Clubman is a MUCH nicer, more comfortable, more fun to drive car than the Forester. There's more leg, elbow and head room in even a Mini Cooper than in a Forester (yes, I have driven both). If I'm not mistaken, the Clubman is also either cheaper or equal in price, depending on options. I know the one I've decided on is about $25k. Not bad at all.

Last edited:

indigoblossom

Having totaled an older Buick (police car-sized vehicle) with my Mini Cooper, and driving away with no injury, I would say go for the solid construction of a Mini vehicle. They are built like little tanks. They have ridiculously strong frames and would be nearly impossible to roll over.

I'm most likely buying a Clubman to make things a bit easier on myself, since my second child is due this summer and my first will likely still be rear-facing.

Besides, the Clubman is a MUCH nicer, more comfortable, more fun to drive car than the Forester. There's more leg, elbow and head room in even a Mini Cooper than in a Forester (yes, I have driven both). If I'm not mistaken, the Clubman is also either cheaper or equal in price, depending on options. I know the one I've decided on is about $25k. Not bad at all.

seriously....more head and leg room than the forester? i only doubt the headroom because it seems like most adults i've seen driving around in their coops are almost touching the roof - BUT i'm really wanting to testdrive the new clubman and see how a marathon installs in it because the forester is now out of the running and i think the clubman may have even better gas mileage than the full-size hybrid sedans we're looking at - but i could be wrong.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC