Vent OMG!!! Son was unbuckled!!!!

emandbri

You could also cover the buckle with a sock with the toes cut out so it is clear which seat belt goes to the car seat.

I don't see any negative tone in the post at all, she was venting and that is all.

ADS

tl01

Your post made me sad. Your SS is your son :(

:yeahthat:

I bet he didn't realize what could have happened by unbuckling the seat. He probably didn't even know he did it... and if he did he could have been afraid to tell you. I'd probably talk to him nicely and quietly to let him know that if it happens again, that you really want to know about it and that it is okay.

I've unbuckled DS's seat before completely by accident while trying to be careful to not do it.

Glad everyone made it home safely.

TXAggieTech

One cheap and easy fix is to buy a velcro square that has a sticky back, like you would use for a poster board or craft project. Cut a strip off the prickly said and put on the button that releases the car seat belt. That way as soon as someone goes to push the button it will be obvious that it is the wrong seat. I did a check where no matter what mom did the oldest DD hit the buckle on one of the seats at least once a week.

When I got home (on the other side of town) I realized I had buckled the carseat into the car, but had NOT buckled my son into the carseat itself. I, also cried at the thought that my infant son could have been killed by even the slightest accident....that is really tough to face.

I did the same thing the first time I took DS2 out alone. DH put him in the carrier with a blanket on top. I grabbed him and left. After showing him off at DS1's school I completely freaked out and cried in the car. I felt like a complete failure as a mom, so much pressure on what was fortunately a non-event.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I had gone and rearranged the seats in the big van. Then I rearranged them again after I realized that my newly boostered dd would not only be buckling/unbuckling next to her brother's rf seat, but that it would be much easier if she was buckling next to her big sis:thumbsup: I also flipped the buckle on ds' seat as a precaution in case it got stepped on or something. So far, no problems!

sixmaybemore

DD has unknowingly unbuckled DS's seat a couple of times. What I did to fix it was to flip the buckle with the release so that you couldn't undo it without really wanting to (the release to the buckle is hidden behind the seat belt, if that makes sense). This has worked great and we haven't had a problem after that.

:thumbsup: We do that, too. With six kids in the car, everybody is sitting next to each other. The kids sometimes just don't realize they've hit a seat and unbuckled it. And YES it is scary when a seat gets unbuckled.

Evolily

It's really easy to do, I've done it before on accident. As a kid I would have been scared to tell an adult if I accidentally did something "wrong", because I would be afraid I would get in trouble. I probably would have reacted exactly like your SS did- kids don't have a concept of danger, and are often intimidated by adults. Especially if it was an adult who they do not know very well.

aclayton74

My middle DS unbuckled the babies seatbelt one day. I told him if he did it again to make sure he told me. Now everytime he sits next to the baby he is like the seatbelt is okay!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Trust me we all have screwed up one way or another when it comes to car seat safety. I looked back at dd1 RA (when she was little) and saw it unbuckled. We had been out running errands all day. Heck I don't even know when it had come unbuckled. For all I know it could have been that way for days or had happened the store before.

I reinstalled the seat and on we went. I was just grateful nothing happened and on we went with our day.

I agree flipping the buckle so your SS can't get to when he unbuckles is an ideal solution and one I tell any parent that is putting a booster/seat belt occupant next to a harnessed car seat. Most are very grateful for that recommendation.

Mom to a few

I just wanted to mention to make sure that he understands that its not just an issue when unbuckling. When you are trying to buckle somewhat "blind" due to another seat being so close, its easy for the male end of the buckle to accidentally push the release button on the other seatbelt. In my opinion, its easier to be careful when unbuckling because you can just trace your hand down your own belt--It's the buckling that's tough!

I understand how panicked you felt though--I had the same thing happen once when my 1st child was an infant, but it was an adult who'd accidentally done it. When I realized what had happened, I was shaking and naseous--It's tough not to have those panicked thoughts of what might have happened :(.

Flipping the buckle over, or having him sit on the side away from the buckle are great solutions. Good luck :).

Kat_Momof3

I think this scare has happened to too many of us (myself included)... it's just something that happens sometimes.

I'd definitely shuffle the seating so that he can buckle without having another buckle there to accidentally hit, or just make it part of the routine for you and your husband (whoever is transporting him... if both of you are there, then whoever is putting him in his seat) to check that the seat is still properly installed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC